PDA

View Full Version : E-bay Auction of Day

michael Mueller
July 20th 03, 05:04 PM
Hi RATS
Check out this e-bay auction. How rare is this piece and who wants to
bet this is going to cost an arm when it finally sells
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3036684046&category=3280
Regards
Mike M

Fred Nachbaur
July 20th 03, 05:36 PM
michael Mueller wrote:
> Hi RATS
> Check out this e-bay auction. How rare is this piece and who wants to
> bet this is going to cost an arm when it finally sells
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3036684046&category=3280
> Regards
> Mike M

Interesting... I won't even speculate how much this will ultimately sell
for.

One thing I found very interesting -- apparently it uses the EL500
(6GB5) for outputs, a tube which (in the RCA manual at least) is only
listed as a horizontal sweep tube for TV sets.

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects: http://dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Robert Casey
July 20th 03, 10:58 PM
Fred Nachbaur wrote:

> One thing I found very interesting -- apparently it uses the EL500
> (6GB5) for outputs, a tube which (in the RCA manual at least) is only
> listed as a horizontal sweep tube for TV sets.

Sweep tubes make for decent audio amps. You don't have to worry about
overvoltageing
the plate, but be mindful of the plate current to avoid red plates. See:
http://home.netcom.com/~wa2ise/radios/compaa3.html
where I used a compactron sweep tube as an audio amp in an AM radio
(not hifi, but the concepts are the same).

A major reason for using sweep tubes is that they are plentiful and cheap.

Tim Williams
July 21st 03, 05:09 AM
"michael Mueller" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> Hi RATS
> Check out this e-bay auction. How rare is this piece and who wants to
> bet this is going to cost an arm when it finally sells

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3036684046&category=3280

Damn. It's gone up 200 bucks in 15 hours! With bidding exponential as it
is, and 9 full days left, well,, GOT damn I wish I had one of those...

Tim

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"

Philip Lawrence
July 21st 03, 11:59 AM
michael Mueller wrote:
> Hi RATS
> Check out this e-bay auction. How rare is this piece and who wants to
> bet this is going to cost an arm when it finally sells
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3036684046&category=3280
> Regards
> Mike M

Looks like a heap of comercial junk.
Phil.

Ronald
July 21st 03, 06:12 PM
> Oh Phil, say it isn't so! The seller swears that "the sound is
> incredibly three-dimensional, with lots of air and a see-through sound
> stage - space is projected in a very believable way. Separation between
> instruments/voices is first rate - the best I've heard. Very deep, tight
> and well defined bass lines with real texture and tonal color."

LOL !!!!!!!!!

Tim Williams
July 21st 03, 11:43 PM
"Ronald" > wrote in message
> If it's not a 100V systom the OPT's arn't original !!

Heh, I wonder how original the PSU caps are......

Tim

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"

Jean-Yves Briend
July 22nd 03, 12:24 PM
Well
i bet there will be quite a battle
around this amp. Klein & Hummel
used the same tubes (or EL5000, which must be
the higher grade EL500?) for their amplified
speakers, and those had to be flat from 20Hz
to 20kHz, due to german radio monitoring
specifications (remember that germans were in
a sense the inventors of HIFI FM radio). Maybe
i can find a schematics somewhere. So
i would bet that this amp should sound good,
if the caps and so are still ok. Anyway,
it will probably go for quite a high price
(1000?) cause here in Europe this kind of gear
is very sought after (ouch, what a terrible
english).

JY.

jim
July 23rd 03, 01:24 AM
"Fred Nachbaur" > wrote in message
.. .

> Philip Lawrence wrote:
> > michael Mueller wrote:
> >
> >> Hi RATS
> >> Check out this e-bay auction. How rare is this piece and who wants to
> >> bet this is going to cost an arm when it finally sells

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3036684046&category=3280

> >> Regards
> >> Mike M
> >>
> > Looks like a heap of comercial junk.
> > Phil.
>
> Oh Phil, say it isn't so! The seller swears that "the sound is
> incredibly three-dimensional, with lots of air and a see-through sound
> stage - space is projected in a very believable way. Separation between
> instruments/voices is first rate - the best I've heard. Very deep, tight
> and well defined bass lines with real texture and tonal color."
>
> [gag]
>
> Cheers,
> Fred
> --
> +--------------------------------------------+
> | Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
> | Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
> | http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |
> +--------------------------------------------+

C,mon , Fred .......
It may be crap but it's old and it's got valves and this is what matters.
'Limited edition' or 'only a few were ever made' says it was a commercial
failure which was rapidly discontinued. It was either crap or hopelessly
overpriced..... Dyna sold thousands, Telefunken sold a few hundred. Draw
your own conclusion.
In my shed, I have a completely buggered water pump off an old Ford. The
bearings collapsed and the seals have gone so it rumbles like f--k and
****es water everywhere. I'm only hanging on to it in case I can sell it on
Ebay, one day.
Have a look round the house. Everybody has a broken electric kettle or a
shoe with a hole in it.
These are bankeable assets nowadays. Hang on to them. We can sell them to
twentysomethings with hair gel and attitude
regards
jim

regards
jim

Rich Andrews
July 25th 03, 12:30 PM
"jim" > wrote in
:

> "Fred Nachbaur" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>

>> Philip Lawrence wrote:

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3036684046&category=32
> 80

>> > Looks like a heap of comercial junk.
>> > Phil.
>>
>> Oh Phil, say it isn't so! The seller swears that "the sound is
>> incredibly three-dimensional, with lots of air and a see-through sound
>> stage - space is projected in a very believable way. Separation between
>> instruments/voices is first rate - the best I've heard. Very deep,
>> tight and well defined bass lines with real texture and tonal color."
>>
>> [gag]
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Fred
>> --
>> +--------------------------------------------+
>> | Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
>> | Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
>> | http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |
>> +--------------------------------------------+
>

> C,mon , Fred .......
> It may be crap but it's old and it's got valves and this is what
> matters. 'Limited edition' or 'only a few were ever made' says it was a
> commercial failure which was rapidly discontinued. It was either crap or
> hopelessly overpriced..... Dyna sold thousands, Telefunken sold a few
> hundred. Draw your own conclusion.
> In my shed, I have a completely buggered water pump off an old Ford. The
> bearings collapsed and the seals have gone so it rumbles like f--k and
> ****es water everywhere. I'm only hanging on to it in case I can sell
> it on Ebay, one day.
> Have a look round the house. Everybody has a broken electric kettle or a
> shoe with a hole in it.
> These are bankeable assets nowadays. Hang on to them. We can sell them
> to twentysomethings with hair gel and attitude
> regards
> jim
>

> regards
> jim

Anytime someone can sell burned out light bulbs and dryer lint on ebay...
Isn't this a great country!!! (:>)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic."

Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - ), "Technology and the Future"

Fred Nachbaur
July 25th 03, 02:43 PM
Rich Andrews wrote:
>>[...]
>

> Anytime someone can sell burned out light bulbs and dryer lint on ebay...
> Isn't this a great country!!! (:>)

Ha, there *is* dryer lint!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2337118061&category=28105
Have to put that one on my watch list! :-p

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

jim
July 25th 03, 09:03 PM

> Anytime someone can sell burned out light bulbs and dryer lint on ebay...
> Isn't this a great country!!! (:>)

Who's country ?? Don't suppose it matters nowadays though. Stateside it's
probably worse. In the UK, we're a bit more serious/conservative/sceptical.
Today I can buy a synthetic plastic spread which 'tastes just like real
butter' Alternatively I can buy butter. I can also now buy Daz 'Original'
This is a washing powder you could buy in 1961, before we all went
biodegradeable, ozone friendly, non bio, and enzyme free. It's been
reinvented and today you can enjoy washing shirts with the original stuff
and feel you have stepped back to a time when old girls beat wet clothes on
the back step before going off to do a fourteen hour shift down the coal
mine. Do young people believe this **** !!!!!
regards
jim

> --
> "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
> magic."
>
> Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - ), "Technology and the Future"

Rich Sherman
July 29th 03, 10:20 PM
Amazing how Ebay sellers will take a tube amp and jack-up the description
until some poor soul pays through the nose and ends-up frying it when some
vintage Power Supply cap decides to fail on today's higher-than-normal mains
voltage levels. To the buyer, good luck! To the seller nice sales pitch!