PDA

View Full Version : Home of handmade valve amps

tony.r
July 19th 03, 12:01 PM
Hi everyone

Its great to be into music and cool equipment. Here is my contribution to
creating a great sound and keeping valve technology alive.

http://www.ncable.com.au/~tony.r/

http://www.ncable.com.au/~tony.r/

tony.r

Tim Williams
July 20th 03, 06:34 AM
"tony.r" > wrote in message
> Hi everyone
>
> Its great to be into music and cool equipment. Here is my contribution to
> creating a great sound and keeping valve technology alive.
>
> http://www.ncable.com.au/~tony.r/

Cool! Needs some pics of the tubes though. :)

Hmm.. those flames look familiar... you play Doom or you just get those
from a web site? ;-)

Tim

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"

Ross Matheson
July 20th 03, 08:19 AM
"tony.r" > wrote:

: Hi everyone
:
: Its great to be into music and cool equipment. Here is my contribution to
: creating a great sound and keeping valve technology alive.
:
: http://www.ncable.com.au/~tony.r/

"Total devistation will be reigned down apon those who are unworthy,
and the gates of hell shall open. Stand and be prepared to be judged,
fire, brimstone........ well you get the point."

A visit from the Angel of Spelling wouldn't go amiss ... ;={})
Devastation rained upon ...
RdM

*Why is fire and brimstone so "cool" ?
*There's something odd about valve amps being "cool" as well ...

Shiva
July 21st 03, 04:35 AM
"Ross Matheson" > wrote in message
> "tony.r" > wrote:
>
> : Hi everyone
> :
> : Its great to be into music and cool equipment. Here is my contribution
> : creating a great sound and keeping valve technology alive.
> :
> : http://www.ncable.com.au/~tony.r/
>
> "Total devistation will be reigned down apon those who are unworthy,
> and the gates of hell shall open. Stand and be prepared to be judged,
> fire, brimstone........ well you get the point."
>
> A visit from the Angel of Spelling wouldn't go amiss ... ;={})
> Devastation rained upon ...
> RdM
>
> *Why is fire and brimstone so "cool" ?

Well, you know... It's like .. fire & brimstone = hell =Satan, and Satan
is totally cool! He's so ... Everything Mom doesn't want you to be! But
wait - you must have read more of that site than i did - i stopped with the
$5 5w resistor ben' the "rip off of the week"... Back to The Angel of
Light. Some are fascinated with Saran for really neat reasons - some Sufis,
for instance, feel that He was the greatest lover of God, 'coz while the
rest of the angels kneeled befor God's creation (heck, basically man), He,
God's fave, refused, saying "Lord, how can I adore anything but You?" Nifty
twist, huh? Anyhow, tying a couple of loosly -related legends together, God
don't be standin' for that kind 'o freethinkin' and cast his *faworite*
angel into the deepest pit. wait, wait, here's the good part: As he
plumets down, a feather breaks free of his wing, and .. from that feather is
birthed *free will*. Hey, just a story, but a nice one. Anyhow, he's got
dibs on this world, so, as the sayin' goes, give the Devil his dues...
> *There's something odd about valve amps being "cool" as well ...

They're only cool to other people who like toob amps... Other people think
tey're goofy.
-dim

Patrick Turner
July 21st 03, 02:50 PM
Shiva wrote:

> "Patrick Turner" > wrote in message
> >

> > Shiva wrote:

> contribution

> > > Well, you know... It's like .. fire & brimstone = hell =Satan, and
> Satan
> > > is totally cool! He's so ... Everything Mom doesn't want you to be!
> But
> > > wait - you must have read more of that site than i did - i stopped with
> the
> > > $5 5w resistor ben' the "rip off of the week"... Back to The Angel of
> > > Light. Some are fascinated with Saran for really neat reasons - some
> Sufis,
> > > for instance, feel that He was the greatest lover of God, 'coz while the
> > > rest of the angels kneeled befor God's creation (heck, basically man),
> He,
> > > God's fave, refused, saying "Lord, how can I adore anything but You?"
> Nifty
> > > twist, huh? Anyhow, tying a couple of loosly -related legends together,
> God
> > > don't be standin' for that kind 'o freethinkin' and cast his *faworite*
> > > angel into the deepest pit. wait, wait, here's the good part: As he
> > > plumets down, a feather breaks free of his wing, and .. from that
> feather is
> > > birthed *free will*. Hey, just a story, but a nice one. Anyhow, he's
> got
> > > dibs on this world, so, as the sayin' goes, give the Devil his dues...
> > >
> > > They're only cool to other people who like toob amps... Other people
> think
> > > tey're goofy.
> > > -dim
> >
> > Irrespective of what the line of verbology is at the aforementioned
> > website, the chief dude still has to face the same problems and issues
> > like we have.
> > He seems flameboyantly enthusiastic, so let's leave him to it.
> >
> > Patrick Turner.
> >

> You know, I started writin' him a letter about his site & what kind of crap
> he'll have to chew on to stay in biz. After a few lines, I thought: If
> anyone I didn't personally know gave me advice like that, I'd think
> "a77hole!" and ignore everything. So i stopped.

A bloke like that don't need advice, just the freedom to trip
over his mistakes, if he makes any.

> Oh, went to my fave swap yesterday, picked up a pile of neat stuff (I came
> with just $40 in pocket, addmission's 5, that sets a limit on m spending ...
> this time I actually came home with $10! Whoo! self-control!), but
> there's another attraction: people who are as obsessed about goofy stuff as
> i am, or even more. Met a guy with an honest-to-gosh *industrial* coil
> winding machine.

I'd sure like one of those, then I could run up a nice big batch of OPTs,
and sell them off slowly.....

> Everyone's tryin' to convert me to RF...

I seem doomed to stay with AF.

But an old friend of mine is battling cancer, and I doubt he'll last a
year. He looks worse each time I see him.
I helped him put up a large antenna a few years back, and
when audio was more my hobby, and I had some time for RF.
He wants to give me his projects he hasn't quite finished, and see they go to a
good
home, rather than be dumped, I think he has a couple of AR7 recievers,
and a Helicrafters, and lots of tubes.
Then there is his complete ham station gear, and I will have to talk to the
amateur club to see what they think we ought to do for the old man.

The doc's prognosis was "months". But the doc don't know
if the radiation therapy will work in a few months, or if he'll die in a few
months.
Doctors are a bit useless sometimes.

I have enjoyed the man's company, he never was a grump,
and he joked at every opportunity, and I've shared his ideas and
advice, and it will be sad when he just ain't there.
And if he donates me a few things, it'll remind me of my own mortality,
and that sooner or later, I'll have to choose the friends who'll accept a few
gifts,
and hopefully the radios will have been completely restored.....

Patrick Turner.

Choky
July 23rd 03, 11:19 PM
hey,Ross-ya have now Shiva ****in'typin syndrome?
;)

--
Choky
Prodanovic Aleksandar

"Ross Matheson" > wrote in message
> Patrick Turner > wrote:
>
> : Irrespective of what the line of verbology is at the aforementioned
> : website, the chief dude still has to face the same problems and issues
> : like we have.
> : He seems flameboyantly enthusiastic, so let's leave him to it.
>
> He ha, nice wordplay from Mr. Turner:=})
> We should all be all flimmin buoyant! :=))
>
> In retrospect my weird smileu may have seemed less than welcoming:=!})
> (It was just a spontaneous idiocy :=}!}) Maaybe could have seemed more
> welcoming... but sometimes I 'praise with faint damns' ;- or at least
mean
> neutrality:- as opposed to the old phrase of "damning with faint praise",
but
> whatever the hell!! :=}) (Or maybe I was chust choking?:={})) Ja! :=))
>
> As you say, the same issues apply. It must have already been a bit of a
> learning curve to have had "A major fault (Short to chassis) was found and
> solved and the transformer was rewound again and phased correctly."!
Still,
> he's keen, and at least put up a starting website - a link from page 1 to
page
> 2 of the valve amp might be good, though - and ya gotta start!
somewhere:-)
> "Leave him to it" is good advice in the right moments too.
> If he sticks around he's probably going to learn plenty more - as I
will:-)

> "Good on yer, mate ..."
>
> : Patrick Turner.
>
> Cheers, Tony. I only meant the spelling corrections as friendly help;=})
> If ya change em quick, whatever ye say, at least she'll be spelled
right!:)

> Verbolatry and grammatolatry - just one of those things! :=})
> Yer got all sorts here ...
>
> Ross D. Matheson
> -
> [insert witty quote]

Shiva
July 30th 03, 02:26 PM
"Patrick Turner" > wrote in message

> Shiva wrote:

> > contribution

> > Satan
> > But
> > the
> > Sufis,
> > He,
You?"
> > Nifty
> > God
> > feather is
> > got

> > think
> > >
> > > Irrespective of what the line of verbology is at the aforementioned
> > > website, the chief dude still has to face the same problems and issues
> > > like we have.
> > > He seems flameboyantly enthusiastic, so let's leave him to it.
> > >
> > > Patrick Turner.
> > >

> > You know, I started writin' him a letter about his site & what kind of
crap
> > he'll have to chew on to stay in biz. After a few lines, I thought: If
> > anyone I didn't personally know gave me advice like that, I'd think
> > "a77hole!" and ignore everything. So i stopped.
>
> A bloke like that don't need advice, just the freedom to trip
> over his mistakes, if he makes any.
>

> > Oh, went to my fave swap yesterday, picked up a pile of neat stuff (I
came
> > with just $40 in pocket, addmission's 5, that sets a limit on m spending
> > this time I actually came home with $10! Whoo! self-control!), but
> > there's another attraction: people who are as obsessed about goofy
stuff as
> > i am, or even more. Met a guy with an honest-to-gosh *industrial* coil
> > winding machine.
>
> I'd sure like one of those, then I could run up a nice big batch of OPTs,
> and sell them off slowly.....
>
> > Everyone's tryin' to convert me to RF...
>
> I seem doomed to stay with AF.
>
> But an old friend of mine is battling cancer, and I doubt he'll last a
> year. He looks worse each time I see him.
> I helped him put up a large antenna a few years back, and
> when audio was more my hobby, and I had some time for RF.
> He wants to give me his projects he hasn't quite finished, and see they go
to a
> good
> home, rather than be dumped, I think he has a couple of AR7 recievers,
> and a Helicrafters, and lots of tubes.
> Then there is his complete ham station gear, and I will have to talk to
the
> amateur club to see what they think we ought to do for the old man.

The club woul prob'ly love to have the stuff, HAMs try to convert people to
their hobby (dare I say "hobby") more rabidly than fresh Born -Agains try
to convert p[sassers-by to Christianity. More gear the club has, the better
their chances.... I'm still managin' to keep their brainwashing under
control. Good antidote: buy *another* broken amp / PS / weird toob /
guitar.
> The doc's prognosis was "months". But the doc don't know
> if the radiation therapy will work in a few months, or if he'll die in a
few
> months.
> Doctors are a bit useless sometimes.

This is just an observation, since both of my grandma's died of cancer: one
was 93, the other 87. Both were convincd to go through chemo/ rays, though
it was obvious that there's no way a weak 93yr old woman is a dumbass
candidate for chemo, and, after a doc talks her into his hobby-horse
therapy, what am I goin' to say? "Gee, gramma, I think you'd be better off
*dyin'* comfortably than gamblin' on a 100-1 shot so you can spend another
year in pain." Anyhow, both have died *in pain*, grossly undermedicated
(heaven forbid that they'd take anything stronger than slow-release morph,
they may get *addicted* or somethin'), though, luckily, quickly. My friend
Bob's wife (95 when she died, i belive) had really bad breast cancer, and
lived fairly comfortably for over 2 years *at home*, smokin' up a storm.
Nothing but pain management & a nurse (cheap in BVI). Don't know how old or
strong your friend is. Sorry for the aside.

> I have enjoyed the man's company, he never was a grump,
> and he joked at every opportunity, and I've shared his ideas and
> advice, and it will be sad when he just ain't there.
> And if he donates me a few things, it'll remind me of my own mortality,
> and that sooner or later, I'll have to choose the friends who'll accept a
few
> gifts,
> and hopefully the radios will have been completely restored.....
>
> Patrick Turner.

Patrick Turner
July 30th 03, 02:46 PM
Shiva wrote:

> [...]
> was 93, the other 87. Both were convincd to go through chemo/ rays, though
> it was obvious that there's no way a weak 93yr old woman is a dumbass
> candidate for chemo, and, after a doc talks her into his hobby-horse
> therapy, what am I goin' to say? "Gee, gramma, I think you'd be better off
> *dyin'* comfortably than gamblin' on a 100-1 shot so you can spend another
> year in pain." Anyhow, both have died *in pain*, grossly undermedicated
> (heaven forbid that they'd take anything stronger than slow-release morph,
> they may get *addicted* or somethin'), though, luckily, quickly. My friend
> Bob's wife (95 when she died, i belive) had really bad breast cancer, and
> lived fairly comfortably for over 2 years *at home*, smokin' up a storm.
> Nothing but pain management & a nurse (cheap in BVI). Don't know how old or
> strong your friend is. Sorry for the aside.

I spent an hour with my old pal today, and he seemed pretty beat.
He isn't in pain until he moves around, so he don't move much.
He's lost his appertite, and radiation therapy affected his whole digestive
tract
from mouth to to his rear.
He was looking very poorly, and I think he won't last long,
but he's stoic, and I guess depressed, but all he whinged about today
was the amateur magazine was late arriving in the mail.
I found it difficult to cheer him up. But he had 3 visitors today,
and if you have friends, your life wasn't all in vain.
I hope he recovers, who knows....

But we are all gonna die.

Patrick Turner.

> > I have enjoyed the man's company, he never was a grump,
> > and he joked at every opportunity, and I've shared his ideas and
> > advice, and it will be sad when he just ain't there.
> > And if he donates me a few things, it'll remind me of my own mortality,
> > and that sooner or later, I'll have to choose the friends who'll accept a
> few
> > gifts,
> > and hopefully the radios will have been completely restored.....
> >
> > Patrick Turner.

Patrick Turner
July 31st 03, 02:34 PM
Shiva wrote:

> Don't know how
> old or
> > > strong your friend is. Sorry for the aside.
> >
> > I spent an hour with my old pal today, and he seemed pretty beat.
> > He isn't in pain until he moves around, so he don't move much.
> > He's lost his appertite, and radiation therapy affected his whole
> digestive
> > tract
> > from mouth to to his rear.
> > He was looking very poorly, and I think he won't last long,
> > but he's stoic, and I guess depressed, but all he whinged about today
> > was the amateur magazine was late arriving in the mail.
> > I found it difficult to cheer him up. But he had 3 visitors today,
> > and if you have friends, your life wasn't all in vain.
> > I hope he recovers, who knows....
> >

> Hi Patrick -
> Once again, I'm goin' to throw in my 2cent's wortheven though it may be a
> bit too forward. It's amazing what some doctors choose not to discuss with
> their paitients, so, even though your friend has probably knows about this,
> I'll blurt it out anyhow:
> if he feels better (just symptomatic stuff like treating nausea / appetite
> / pain / mood), his body will be in much better shape to fight this thing,
> maybe just giving him more time, but hey - it would be *good* time, not time
> spent depressed & in pain. Ther are meds availabe to deal with each one of
> his *symptoms*, and docs who're willin' to write the scripts. Being Stoic
> makes little sence at times like this. 'Luck.
> -dim

He's got a lot of friends and relatives calling.
His wife is at a home with alziemers and she can't help him.
He had an open heart bypass operation 6 years ago, at only 68, and he recovered
OK
but survivors of that often then live to face the worst a little later.
Later has arrived, and now he's got cancer. First he had chemo therapy,
which hasn't worked, and he knows, and he was weakened by the therapy,
and now he's weakened by radiation illness, and his old tired body
has to get rid of the dead tumour cells, and the fight doesn't look like being
won.
The healthy tissues are affected, or burned, by radiation, like the tumours.
He doesn't know if he'll recover or not, and the doctors are
not going to spend enormous sums of expertise if they think he will die soon.
If he eats too much, he gets appalling digestive tract troubles and pain.
He has a bag strapped to his leg for his pee, and tube stuck up his old fella,
to get past the tumour, and the pain is horrid.
He has a table full of medications for pain and gut treatments.
The doctors like to cure or heal ppl, and often are pretty useless
when someone is being called by Our Maker.
He's on an oxygen machine, ever since the bushfire smoke in january
triggered emphasema.
If I offered him a joint, I think it might kill him.
Then he'd come down form the high of the joint, and
be extra depressed.
I just want to be there for the guy, its not much for me to achieve,
and I'd feel bad if I didn't follow it through.
Life is about seeing life come into our presence,
and going from it, its natural.
We look at the fresh young faces around us, and we should be mindful
to teach them love, which is a terribly difficult thing to do,
and perhaps they'll preside over our passing with grace and perhaps some care.

Perhaps he'll get well, but perhaps he will realise its time to go.
The uncertainty facing him must be a pressing weight,
and he has so many health problems, maybe he just wonders when it'll
be over.

If I were him I'd give away everything I didn't need, and stop
clinging on, and try to make peace with any adversaries, and prepare for
death, but I don't think this guy has a clue that he must do any of that,
his energy is gutted, and it really doesn't matter, I am sure he'll depart
with a few loved ones nearby, I know his daughter and her husband.

Patrick Turner.