PDA

View Full Version : home theater with tubes

David Power
July 16th 03, 03:12 AM
I'm looking to setup a nice little system in my family room that will
have a full surround speaker system using Vandersteen speakers. I am
looking for recommendations for a simple 1 or 2 box system preferably
based around our favorite glowing bottles. This needs to be simple to
use,mainaine and setup. The principle users will be my family and I am
trying to reduce the complexity of a good sounding system that they
will still use and that I an enjoy without having to give lectures on
how to turn it n correctly.

I had been looking and listen to several manufactures B&K, Carver and
Anthem stood out but none have that easy listen ability that I desire.

Any recommendations ?

David

Jimmy
July 16th 03, 04:25 PM
I dont know how you could decode surround sound using tubes but I use tube
power amps. Years ago 1960's/70's I built several little tube amps using
triode connected 6bq5s with a 12ax7 preamp and phase splitter. I sold these
along with a little modified FM rx to put muzac in stores. The amps were
very easy to make and sounded quite well. I use these for all the amps in my
surround sound system except for one. I use a polk subwoofer that has the
solid state amp built into the speaker inclosure.

"David Power" > wrote in message
> I'm looking to setup a nice little system in my family room that will
> have a full surround speaker system using Vandersteen speakers. I am
> looking for recommendations for a simple 1 or 2 box system preferably
> based around our favorite glowing bottles. This needs to be simple to
> use,mainaine and setup. The principle users will be my family and I am
> trying to reduce the complexity of a good sounding system that they
> will still use and that I an enjoy without having to give lectures on
> how to turn it n correctly.
>
> I had been looking and listen to several manufactures B&K, Carver and
> Anthem stood out but none have that easy listen ability that I desire.
>
> Any recommendations ?
>
> David

proletariat
July 17th 03, 10:31 AM
"David Power" > wrote in message
> I'm looking to setup a nice little system in my family room that will
> have a full surround speaker system using Vandersteen speakers. I am
> looking for recommendations for a simple 1 or 2 box system preferably
> based around our favorite glowing bottles. This needs to be simple to
> use,mainaine and setup. The principle users will be my family and I am
> trying to reduce the complexity of a good sounding system that they
> will still use and that I an enjoy without having to give lectures on
> how to turn it n correctly.
>
> I had been looking and listen to several manufactures B&K, Carver and
> Anthem stood out but none have that easy listen ability that I desire.
>
> Any recommendations ?
>
> David

dedicated home theatre preamps with dolby digital & DTS are too pricey
($1500+)

get a current Yamaha or other home theatre amp that has PRE OUTS and use
tube amps for the power amps

I am using the front end portion of a Yamaha home theatre amp (RX-V800) in
this fashion

Bob Hedberg
July 20th 03, 01:45 AM
I agree about the 6q5's. I've been using 6bq5 dynacos on my tv for
years, and have a Scott 222 reciever I'm getting ready to go in soon.
I gave my folks an EICO hf-81, which sounds great through the tv and
cable.
The 6bq5's run light AB (around 26 ma) are great for low power, low
consumption use with tv's, and all the new tubes sound great and are
cheap.
The best thing of all, there are some great deals on these classic
amps, and greater deals on the lesser name-brands using 6bq5's.
There are also a bunch of mono amps available for a center channel.

Besides, they look cool in the living room.

Bob Hedberg

"Jimmy" > wrote:

>I dont know how you could decode surround sound using tubes but I use tube
>power amps. Years ago 1960's/70's I built several little tube amps using
>triode connected 6bq5s with a 12ax7 preamp and phase splitter. I sold these
>along with a little modified FM rx to put muzac in stores. The amps were
>very easy to make and sounded quite well. I use these for all the amps in my
>surround sound system except for one. I use a polk subwoofer that has the
>solid state amp built into the speaker inclosure.
>
>"David Power" > wrote in message
>> I'm looking to setup a nice little system in my family room that will
>> have a full surround speaker system using Vandersteen speakers. I am
>> looking for recommendations for a simple 1 or 2 box system preferably
>> based around our favorite glowing bottles. This needs to be simple to
>> use,mainaine and setup. The principle users will be my family and I am
>> trying to reduce the complexity of a good sounding system that they
>> will still use and that I an enjoy without having to give lectures on
>> how to turn it n correctly.
>>
>> I had been looking and listen to several manufactures B&K, Carver and
>> Anthem stood out but none have that easy listen ability that I desire.
>>
>> Any recommendations ?
>>
>> David

Bob H.

Just grab that plate in one hand, the chassis in the other,
and FEEL the power of tube audio!!!
(not literally, of course, just kidding. DON'T DO THAT!)