PDA

View Full Version : Re: Use a 6K11 tube in place of a 12AX7

Shiva
July 13th 03, 12:34 AM
"MCurn29788" > wrote in message
> I want to use a 6K11 tube in place of a 12AX7 in a marshall guitar amp. I
know
> that the Soldano Hotmod does this but I want to make my own. Can anyone
help me
> out with a diagram? E-mail at

A sircuit for what? 6k11 is a triple-triode, will in no way fit into a
9=pin socket, 'coz it has 3 extra pins... try alt.guitar or something -
you'll get all the bad advice you need...

Shiva
July 13th 03, 03:28 AM
"Ian Iveson" > wrote in message
> I guess you get to pick up the pieces after many amateur
> modifications!
>
> Looks a like 2 of those 3 triodes might pass for a 12AX7 with same
> gain but perhaps with lower Ra? Er...need bigger cathode resistors?
>
> Wonder what the other one's for? Nothing in the case of the
> suggested mod, perhaps. Looks useful for something though. Shame
> to waste it.
>
> A diagram would presumably be little more than a comparison of
> pin-outs.
>
> Does the Marshall use the 6V or 12V heater connection for the 12AX7,
> I wonder? Probably the 6 so that would be OK.
>
> I wonder if he can snip four pins and bend the others ;-)
>
> cheers, Ian

Well, it's probably "the really great gain mod" (one of the endless "really
great gain mods"), and the extra triode is probably used as an extra gain
stage. Just a guess. Mods exist mainly 'coz Guitar Player magazine would
be out of biz real quick if the only tech copy was "just shut the f8ck up &
play!"
And, if it wasn't for the "mods", I'd be gainfully unemployed. Right now I
have 3 amps sitting waitin' to be un-modded, and one modded. That's about
the usual ratio. I've seen really clever mods which really *did* add to an
amp, but those are rare... Once I was about to rip out a rat's nest of
wires from an amp, but plugged it in and played it, and ... though whoever
did the mod wasn't too big on neatness & physical reliability, he sure was
thinking when he designed it (i actually drew up that circuit)
-dim

> "Shiva" > wrote in message
> >
> > "MCurn29788" > wrote in message
> > > I want to use a 6K11 tube in place of a 12AX7 in a marshall
> guitar amp. I
> > know
> > > that the Soldano Hotmod does this but I want to make my own. Can
> anyone
> > help me
> > > out with a diagram? E-mail at
> >
> > A sircuit for what? 6k11 is a triple-triode, will in no way fit
> into a
> > 9=pin socket, 'coz it has 3 extra pins... try alt.guitar or
> something -
> > you'll get all the bad advice you need...

Jimmy
July 16th 03, 07:41 PM
Ive seen that 6k11 used in some little cheap guitar amps. A pair of 6bq5s
driven by one section of the tube used as a phase splitter another as a
preamp and the other in the tone volune section. I worked on a couple of
them in my shop when I used to do such things. Actually it made a pretty
decent little amp once you replaced the cheap ass pots and capacitors and
put a decent speaker in the box. Think this tube was origonally designed for
TV sets as part of the vertical circuit and was suppose to be roughly the
equivalent of a 'ax7 and half of an at7 or maybe an 'au7.

"Shiva" > wrote in message

> "Ian Iveson" > wrote in message
> > I guess you get to pick up the pieces after many amateur
> > modifications!
> >
> > Looks a like 2 of those 3 triodes might pass for a 12AX7 with same
> > gain but perhaps with lower Ra? Er...need bigger cathode resistors?
> >
> > Wonder what the other one's for? Nothing in the case of the
> > suggested mod, perhaps. Looks useful for something though. Shame
> > to waste it.
> >
> > A diagram would presumably be little more than a comparison of
> > pin-outs.
> >
> > Does the Marshall use the 6V or 12V heater connection for the 12AX7,
> > I wonder? Probably the 6 so that would be OK.
> >
> > I wonder if he can snip four pins and bend the others ;-)
> >
> > cheers, Ian
>
> Well, it's probably "the really great gain mod" (one of the endless
"really
> great gain mods"), and the extra triode is probably used as an extra gain
> stage. Just a guess. Mods exist mainly 'coz Guitar Player magazine would
> be out of biz real quick if the only tech copy was "just shut the f8ck up
&
> play!"
> And, if it wasn't for the "mods", I'd be gainfully unemployed. Right now
> have 3 amps sitting waitin' to be un-modded, and one modded. That's
about
> the usual ratio. I've seen really clever mods which really *did* add to
an
> amp, but those are rare... Once I was about to rip out a rat's nest of
> wires from an amp, but plugged it in and played it, and ... though whoever
> did the mod wasn't too big on neatness & physical reliability, he sure was
> thinking when he designed it (i actually drew up that circuit)
> -dim

> > guitar amp. I
> > > know
> > anyone
> > > help me
> > >
> > > A sircuit for what? 6k11 is a triple-triode, will in no way fit
> > into a
> > > 9=pin socket, 'coz it has 3 extra pins... try alt.guitar or
> > something -
> > > you'll get all the bad advice you need...

Shiva
July 20th 03, 02:39 AM
"Jimmy" > wrote in message
. com...
> Ive seen that 6k11 used in some little cheap guitar amps. A pair of 6bq5s
> driven by one section of the tube used as a phase splitter another as a
> preamp and the other in the tone volune section. I worked on a couple of
> them in my shop when I used to do such things. Actually it made a pretty
> decent little amp once you replaced the cheap ass pots and capacitors and
> put a decent speaker in the box. Think this tube was origonally designed
for
> TV sets as part of the vertical circuit and was suppose to be roughly the
> equivalent of a 'ax7 and half of an at7 or maybe an 'au7.

Yeah, this *notorious* toob is used in many 'Peg V4's & such - which used to
be a great "cheap" amp, but now bringin' real money. It's not that the tube
is bad - it's not, but it's really not available at most music stores, and
just ... looks wrong - like a TV toob... And needs a special socket - in
short, if there's no *need* to use one, why bother? The good thing about
new (er) (big chassis) marshes is ... there is room enough to build
*another* amp on top of it - there's no need to be space-conscious, or use
weird tubes having nothing "different" to offer. It could be a great -
soundin' mod, for all I know...
-dim