PDA

View Full Version : Clicks in the mix

February 20th 05, 10:26 AM
I have just changed my signal chain for song mixes and am getting some
clicks in my final stage mix. I have mixed two songs. The first had
clicks. I re-booted everything and got rid of them on the next run. The
second song (a few days later) now has clicks also. Not a lot of clicks
but enough to keep it from being right.

Here's my signal chain:

Alesis HD-24>Tascam DM-24 (the DM-24 is chasing MTC from the Alesis)>
Analog out to Peavey Kosmos>Analog out to M-Audio FW-410>Firewire into
P4 2.4GHz XP-Pro Dell laptop recording the mix into Cubase SX-1.

Could it be a clocking issue or just a grumpy laptop?

I've always mixed to DAT until now. I love the convenience of going
direct to my computer but don't want to have to re-mix every time,
obviously.

Any thoughts?

peakester

Steven Sena
February 20th 05, 01:21 PM
First thing that comes to mind... Is everything your coming out of and going
into the same bit rate and sample rate?

--
Steven Sena
XS Sound Recording

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have just changed my signal chain for song mixes and am getting some
> clicks in my final stage mix. I have mixed two songs. The first had
> clicks. I re-booted everything and got rid of them on the next run. The
> second song (a few days later) now has clicks also. Not a lot of clicks
> but enough to keep it from being right.
>
> Here's my signal chain:
>
> Alesis HD-24>Tascam DM-24 (the DM-24 is chasing MTC from the Alesis)>
> Analog out to Peavey Kosmos>Analog out to M-Audio FW-410>Firewire into
> P4 2.4GHz XP-Pro Dell laptop recording the mix into Cubase SX-1.
>
> Could it be a clocking issue or just a grumpy laptop?
>
> I've always mixed to DAT until now. I love the convenience of going
> direct to my computer but don't want to have to re-mix every time,
> obviously.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> peakester

Mike Rivers
February 20th 05, 02:38 PM
In article . com> writes:

> I have just changed my signal chain for song mixes and am getting some
> clicks in my final stage mix.

> Alesis HD-24>Tascam DM-24 (the DM-24 is chasing MTC from the Alesis)>
> Analog out to Peavey Kosmos>Analog out to M-Audio FW-410>Firewire into
> P4 2.4GHz XP-Pro Dell laptop recording the mix into Cubase SX-1.
>
> Could it be a clocking issue or just a grumpy laptop?

It's always a clocking issue. Do you have any word clock
interconnections at all? Time code isn't data clock.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Trevor de Clercq
February 20th 05, 04:22 PM
How is the clock hooked up between the Alesis HD-24 and the Tascam
DM-24? MTC does not count (that's timecode not clock).

Cheers,
Trevor de Clercq

wrote:
> I have just changed my signal chain for song mixes and am getting some
> clicks in my final stage mix. I have mixed two songs. The first had
> clicks. I re-booted everything and got rid of them on the next run. The
> second song (a few days later) now has clicks also. Not a lot of clicks
> but enough to keep it from being right.
>
> Here's my signal chain:
>
> Alesis HD-24>Tascam DM-24 (the DM-24 is chasing MTC from the Alesis)>
> Analog out to Peavey Kosmos>Analog out to M-Audio FW-410>Firewire into
> P4 2.4GHz XP-Pro Dell laptop recording the mix into Cubase SX-1.
>
> Could it be a clocking issue or just a grumpy laptop?
>
> I've always mixed to DAT until now. I love the convenience of going
> direct to my computer but don't want to have to re-mix every time,
> obviously.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> peakester

February 22nd 05, 06:53 AM
Steven Sena wrote:
> First thing that comes to mind... Is everything your coming out of
and going
> into the same bit rate and sample rate?
All 24 bit and 44.1 in this particular instance.

> --
> Steven Sena
> XS Sound Recording
> www.xssound.com
>
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I have just changed my signal chain for song mixes and am getting
some
> > clicks in my final stage mix. I have mixed two songs. The first had
> > clicks. I re-booted everything and got rid of them on the next run.
The
> > second song (a few days later) now has clicks also. Not a lot of
clicks
> > but enough to keep it from being right.
> >
> > Here's my signal chain:
> >
> > Alesis HD-24>Tascam DM-24 (the DM-24 is chasing MTC from the
Alesis)>
> > Analog out to Peavey Kosmos>Analog out to M-Audio FW-410>Firewire
into
> > P4 2.4GHz XP-Pro Dell laptop recording the mix into Cubase SX-1.
> >
> > Could it be a clocking issue or just a grumpy laptop?
> >
> > I've always mixed to DAT until now. I love the convenience of going
> > direct to my computer but don't want to have to re-mix every time,
> > obviously.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > peakester

February 22nd 05, 07:03 AM
10-4 Mr. Rivers.
No. I do not have a master word clock or interconnects and of course
the laptop has no digital interface with the other units. Only MTC from
the Alesis to the Tascam. Could it be what I am hearing is actually
digital distortion caused by overload or normalizing?

Mike Rivers
February 22nd 05, 02:47 PM
In article . com> writes:

> No. I do not have a master word clock or interconnects and of course
> the laptop has no digital interface with the other units. Only MTC from
> the Alesis to the Tascam. Could it be what I am hearing is actually
> digital distortion caused by overload or normalizing?

It could be anything. But if you're using a digital connection between
the DM24 and the HD24 you need some sort of word clock synchronizaion.
There are several ways that you could be connecting these and you
haven't yet said what you're using other than MTC (which has nothing
to do with your problem).

You may be able to establish word clock sync by making the proper
settings with what you have, or you may need an extra cable (BNC) to
make an external word clock connection (and the proper settings to
enable it).

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )