PDA

View Full Version : Not a scam, is it?

novamusic
January 26th 05, 05:31 AM
Hi group,
I have for sale a Microtech-Gefell UM70s mic & I have an interested
buyer - in Sweden. I've never sold thru Ebay (yet, no big opposition to
it), nor overseas. Buyer contacted me privately with offer for the mic.
I tell him I only accept US Postal MOs, since it's not an Ebay
transaction. I used to accept verified Paypal, but they no longer
guarantee against fraudulent chargebacks for non-ebay transactions.
Buyer suggests (snippage below) I sell buy-it-now thru Ebay.

Does this seem okay to anyone? I have a few hairs standing on end.
Anyone know offhand if Ebay/Paypal protects sellers on *overseas* ebay
transactions?

Thanks for any response,

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
This sig is haiku

> Hi again, Ive looked at Postal money order from Sweden.
> It can be sent by me through the Swedish post, but it will cost me 70
USD

--------
>>> I prefer to pay by verified Paypal since its fast and reliable.
Please
>>> check my feedback on ebay (user *********) for confidence. I once
pay
>>> through western union and it took three weeks. Shipping the best
way
>>> for
>>> me is Fedex Air (3-4 days) wich I pay for of course.

David Morgan \(MAMS\)
January 26th 05, 06:58 AM
I'd consider ending the auction and re-listing the mic with a "buy it now"
auction, if his offer is good enough to make you happy. Then I'd require
that he use PayPal, non credit card, and agree to be responsible for any
duties or tarriffs. If the potential buyer doesn't back out after hearing the
requirements, you'll probably be OK.

Ship (with insurance [at the buyer's expense] and signature required) after
you have the cash moved into your bank account. By this time, it will be
the buyer's hair standing on end and you should be safe.

I've only shipped overseas twice and have now blocked all non-US bidders
because of the stress factor.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s dot com

play_on
January 26th 05, 07:06 AM
Why can't you take an international money order in US dollars?

Al

On 25 Jan 2005 20:31:39 -0800, "novamusic" >
wrote:

>Hi group,
>I have for sale a Microtech-Gefell UM70s mic & I have an interested
>buyer - in Sweden. I've never sold thru Ebay (yet, no big opposition to
>it), nor overseas. Buyer contacted me privately with offer for the mic.
>I tell him I only accept US Postal MOs, since it's not an Ebay
>transaction. I used to accept verified Paypal, but they no longer
>guarantee against fraudulent chargebacks for non-ebay transactions.
>Buyer suggests (snippage below) I sell buy-it-now thru Ebay.
>
>Does this seem okay to anyone? I have a few hairs standing on end.
>Anyone know offhand if Ebay/Paypal protects sellers on *overseas* ebay
>transactions?
>
>Thanks for any response,
>
>Mikey Wozniak
>Nova Music Productions
>This sig is haiku
>
>> Hi again, Ive looked at Postal money order from Sweden.
>> It can be sent by me through the Swedish post, but it will cost me 70
>USD
>> and will take a couple of weeks.
>>
>> It would be cheaper if you put it up as a ebay auction and let me use
>the
>> buy it now feature. If direct bank withdrawal isnt ok through paypal.
>>
>> I will of course pay for Fedex Air wich shouldn be too expensive. Im
>> guessing 30-60 USD perhaps.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>--------
>Please
>pay
>way

GKB
January 26th 05, 02:22 PM
Or have the money wired to your bank account , should cost you nothing ?

"play_on" > wrote in message
> Why can't you take an international money order in US dollars?
>
> Al
>
> On 25 Jan 2005 20:31:39 -0800, "novamusic" >
> wrote:
>
> >Hi group,
> >I have for sale a Microtech-Gefell UM70s mic & I have an interested
> >buyer - in Sweden. I've never sold thru Ebay (yet, no big opposition to
> >it), nor overseas. Buyer contacted me privately with offer for the mic.
> >I tell him I only accept US Postal MOs, since it's not an Ebay
> >transaction. I used to accept verified Paypal, but they no longer
> >guarantee against fraudulent chargebacks for non-ebay transactions.
> >Buyer suggests (snippage below) I sell buy-it-now thru Ebay.
> >
> >Does this seem okay to anyone? I have a few hairs standing on end.
> >Anyone know offhand if Ebay/Paypal protects sellers on *overseas* ebay
> >transactions?
> >
> >Thanks for any response,
> >
> >Mikey Wozniak
> >Nova Music Productions
> >This sig is haiku
> >
> >> Hi again, Ive looked at Postal money order from Sweden.
> >> It can be sent by me through the Swedish post, but it will cost me 70
> >USD
> >> and will take a couple of weeks.
> >>
> >> It would be cheaper if you put it up as a ebay auction and let me use
> >the
> >> buy it now feature. If direct bank withdrawal isnt ok through paypal.
> >>
> >> I will of course pay for Fedex Air wich shouldn be too expensive. Im
> >> guessing 30-60 USD perhaps.
> >>
> >> Best Regards,
> >--------
> >Please
> >pay
> >way

Trevor deClercq
January 26th 05, 04:03 PM
I sold an AKG 422 to a guy in Japan for about $1500 through eBay. I was
kind of leery of the process, but it ended up going fine. One issue: I
FedExed the mic and the guy at the shipping station checked the "shipper
will pay tariffs" box on the waybill. That ended up being about $80.
Luckily the Japanese guy was cool and sent me the $80 to cover the
tariffs after I e-mailed him a scan of the FedEx tariff bill I received
three months later. I think he PayPal'ed me the $80, so I'm guessing he
PayPal'ed the whole transaction. Don't know if any of this helps.

Cheers,
Trevor de Clercq

novamusic wrote:
> Hi group,
> I have for sale a Microtech-Gefell UM70s mic & I have an interested
> buyer - in Sweden. I've never sold thru Ebay (yet, no big opposition to
> it), nor overseas. Buyer contacted me privately with offer for the mic.
> I tell him I only accept US Postal MOs, since it's not an Ebay
> transaction. I used to accept verified Paypal, but they no longer
> guarantee against fraudulent chargebacks for non-ebay transactions.
> Buyer suggests (snippage below) I sell buy-it-now thru Ebay.
>
> Does this seem okay to anyone? I have a few hairs standing on end.
> Anyone know offhand if Ebay/Paypal protects sellers on *overseas* ebay
> transactions?
>
> Thanks for any response,
>
> Mikey Wozniak
> Nova Music Productions
> This sig is haiku
>

>>Hi again, Ive looked at Postal money order from Sweden.
>>It can be sent by me through the Swedish post, but it will cost me 70
>
> USD
>
>>and will take a couple of weeks.
>>
>>It would be cheaper if you put it up as a ebay auction and let me use
>
> the
>
>>buy it now feature. If direct bank withdrawal isnt ok through paypal.
>>
>>I will of course pay for Fedex Air wich shouldn be too expensive. Im
>>guessing 30-60 USD perhaps.
>>
>>Best Regards,
>
> --------

> Please

> pay

> way

Pooh Bear
January 27th 05, 02:03 AM
novamusic wrote:

> Hi group,
> I have for sale a Microtech-Gefell UM70s mic & I have an interested
> buyer - in Sweden. I've never sold thru Ebay (yet, no big opposition to
> it), nor overseas. Buyer contacted me privately with offer for the mic.
> I tell him I only accept US Postal MOs, since it's not an Ebay
> transaction. I used to accept verified Paypal, but they no longer
> guarantee against fraudulent chargebacks for non-ebay transactions.
> Buyer suggests (snippage below) I sell buy-it-now thru Ebay.
>
> Does this seem okay to anyone? I have a few hairs standing on end.
> Anyone know offhand if Ebay/Paypal protects sellers on *overseas* ebay
> transactions?
>
> Thanks for any response,

If you take a *private* offer you are breaking ebay's rules and opening
yourself up to fraud big time.

Graham

novamusic
January 27th 05, 07:12 AM
Pooh Bear wrote:

> If you take a *private* offer you are breaking ebay's rules and
opening
> yourself up to fraud big time.
>
> Graham

Let me clear this up, then:
I do not have the mic up for auction on Ebay. The potential buyer
suggested that I do so to get Paypal protection. Thanks all for your
respnses, tho. I'm still undecided.

Mikey

novamusic
January 27th 05, 06:40 PM
I don't trust int'l MOs. Do you? If so, why?

Mikey

Scott Dorsey
January 27th 05, 07:39 PM
novamusic > wrote:
>I don't trust int'l MOs. Do you? If so, why?

Postal money orders are pretty reliable and certainly a lot harder to
forge effectively than cashier's checks. And the postal authorities
actually do go after people who try to forge them, in the US and Europe
anyway, in part because the UN postal authorities are very serious
about them. Exchange rates aren't so good, though.

You'll find that from a lot of places you can't even send a postal
money order to the US, like Germany.

play_on
January 27th 05, 08:49 PM
I've never had a problem with them, but it's been awhile since I've
gotten one. I'm waiting payment right now from a guy in Singapore who
is sending me $ that way.

Al

On 27 Jan 2005 09:40:09 -0800, "novamusic" >
wrote:

>I don't trust int'l MOs. Do you? If so, why?
>
>Mikey

Pat Janes
January 27th 05, 10:36 PM
In article >,
(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> Postal money orders are pretty reliable and certainly a lot harder to
> forge effectively than cashier's checks. And the postal authorities
> actually do go after people who try to forge them, in the US and Europe
> anyway, in part because the UN postal authorities are very serious
> about them. Exchange rates aren't so good, though.

Canada Post MOs have a toll-free number printed on them. If the MO is
worth more than a couple hundred dollars you can call the number, give
them the serial number of the MO, and confirm its validity.

Don't try to cash a postal MO at a bank, go to the US Post Office.
Having sent a few Canada Post USD MOs to people in the USA, it seems to
me that the vast majority of bank employees in the USA are completely
clueless about foreign MOs, postal or otherwise.