PDA

View Full Version : Hi Gain Microphones

Paul
October 3rd 03, 01:39 AM
I am using my computer to record lectures in class. I am having a problem
with it in that the audio level is very low. I have heard that there are
high gain microphones out there which are more sensitive than the kind you
might by at Radio Shack, but I have not been able to find any.

Could someone direct me to where I could find such a microphone designed to
be plugged into a computer?

Thank.

- Paul

Art Jackson
October 3rd 03, 03:25 AM
Paul wrote:
> I am using my computer to record lectures in class. I am having a problem
> with it in that the audio level is very low. I have heard that there are
> high gain microphones out there which are more sensitive than the kind you
> might by at Radio Shack, but I have not been able to find any.
>
> Could someone direct me to where I could find such a microphone designed to
> be plugged into a computer?
>
> Thank.
>
> - Paul

Many sound cards have a 20db boost setting in the mixer configuration.
Double click the speaker icon in the taskbar to bring up the mixer
settings. There you should be able to adjust record level and select the
microphone boost if that option is available. Of course, to get decent
recordings, the microphone should be within 1-4 feet of the person that
is talking, and the volume of the speaker should be turned down or muted
to eliminate the possibility of feedback. Good luck.

--
Art Jackson W4TOY Owensboro, KY USA
Life is God's open book test. In order to pass,

Arny Krueger
October 3rd 03, 08:14 AM
"Paul" > wrote in message

> I am using my computer to record lectures in class. I am having a
> problem with it in that the audio level is very low.

You've probably got another problem - reflections from all over the lecture
room.

> I have heard
> that there are high gain microphones out there which are more
> sensitive than the kind you might by at Radio Shack, but I have not
> been able to find any.

Here are reviews of some representative types of microphone that address the
problems of recording when the microphone can't be placed close to the
speaker:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/review_shotgun_mics.html

http://www.tvtechnology.com/reviews/features/pr-Azden.shtml

Here are some relevant ads:

http://www.amazing1.com/accoustics.htm

http://www.spysupplystore.com/wirelessnc.htm

http://electronickits.com/spy/finish/listen/shotgun.htm

> Could someone direct me to where I could find such a microphone
> designed to be plugged into a computer?

A good professional audio store, particularly one that caters to people who
work in film and television. Also, stores that cater to people who have
camcorders.

Todd H.
October 3rd 03, 05:14 PM
"Paul" > writes:
> I am using my computer to record lectures in class. I am having a
> problem with it in that the audio level is very low. I have heard
> that there are high gain microphones out there which are more
> sensitive than the kind you might by at Radio Shack, but I have not
> been able to find any.
>
> Could someone direct me to where I could find such a microphone
> designed to be plugged into a computer?

Depends on the sound card. Are you sure you're using the mic input
rather than the line input?

Have you checked the input level in the windows volume control?

In windows 2000 (other version of windows are similar) check out
Start>programs>accessories>entertainment>volume control

In Volume Control check out Options>properties, then click the radio
button for "show volume controls for recording." Click OK.

Then crank up the slider for your existing input. If it's maximized
and still not enough, click on Options>Advanced controls. This will
add an "Advanced" button below the level slider for the microphone
input. Click that advanced button. IN the "Advanced controls for
microphone" dialog box, make sure the checkbox for "microphone boost"
is checked.

Failing all that, yes, Microphones to vary dramatically in their
sensitivity. What is the sensitivity of your current microphone? (Or
what model/make so we can look it up).

I mention a _very_ sensitive electret omnidirctional micrphone and
battery box here:
http://www.toddh.net/music/njb/

Failing that, you'll need a preamp (also mentioned on that same
page).

Best Regards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/

Paul
October 4th 03, 01:37 AM
"Art Jackson" > wrote in message

> Many sound cards have a 20db boost setting in the mixer configuration.
> Double click the speaker icon in the taskbar to bring up the mixer
> settings. There you should be able to adjust record level and select the
> microphone boost if that option is available. Of course, to get decent
> recordings, the microphone should be within 1-4 feet of the person that
> is talking, and the volume of the speaker should be turned down or muted
> to eliminate the possibility of feedback. Good luck.

Thanks Art,

I checked that, and it seems I activated the 20db boost some time ago.

Yes, when he happens to stand within four feet of the microphone, he sounds
fine. But in two of my classes the professor moves around a lot, so the
level goes up and down.

The speaker is being directed into headphones, so feedback is not a problem.

- Paul

Paul
October 4th 03, 01:43 AM
"Arny Krueger" > wrote in message

> You've probably got another problem - reflections from all over the
lecture
> room.

Yes, I hear the echoes, but they are tolerable.

> > I have heard
> > that there are high gain microphones out there which are more
> > sensitive than the kind you might by at Radio Shack, but I have not
> > been able to find any.
>
> Here are reviews of some representative types of microphone that address
the
> problems of recording when the microphone can't be placed close to the
> speaker:
>
> http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/review_shotgun_mics.html
>
> http://www.tvtechnology.com/reviews/features/pr-Azden.shtml
>
> Here are some relevant ads:
>
> http://www.amazing1.com/accoustics.htm
>
> http://www.spysupplystore.com/wirelessnc.htm
>
> http://electronickits.com/spy/finish/listen/shotgun.htm
>
> > Could someone direct me to where I could find such a microphone
> > designed to be plugged into a computer?
>
> A good professional audio store, particularly one that caters to people
who
> work in film and television. Also, stores that cater to people who have
> camcorders.

I will check there. Thanks.

- Paul

Paul
October 4th 03, 01:43 AM
"Todd H." > wrote in message

> Depends on the sound card. Are you sure you're using the mic input
> rather than the line input?
It is a notebook computer. I could be wrong, but I don't think it has a
line in jack. I am plugging into the microphone jack.

> Have you checked the input level in the windows volume control?
Yes, they are maxed out.

> In windows 2000 (other version of windows are similar) check out
> Start>programs>accessories>entertainment>volume control
Win XP. All mic controls I can find are maxed.

> In Volume Control check out Options>properties, then click the radio
> button for "show volume controls for recording." Click OK.
>
> Then crank up the slider for your existing input. If it's maximized
> and still not enough, click on Options>Advanced controls. This will
> add an "Advanced" button below the level slider for the microphone
> input. Click that advanced button. IN the "Advanced controls for
> microphone" dialog box, make sure the checkbox for "microphone boost"
> is checked.
>
> Failing all that, yes, Microphones do vary dramatically in their
> sensitivity. What is the sensitivity of your current microphone? (Or
> what model/make so we can look it up).
I have lost that information, but I can tell you that it is the microphone
on a recently discontinued headset/microphone combination which was
obviously designed to be used by the person wearing it on his head. In
class I do not use it that way. I move it as close to the professor as I
can get it.

> I mention a _very_ sensitive electret omnidirctional micrphone and
> battery box here:
> http://www.toddh.net/music/njb/
>
> Failing that, you'll need a preamp (also mentioned on that same
> page).

Thanks Todd. I have followed that link and I will see if the stuff is has
is in my price range.

- Paul

Todd H.
October 4th 03, 06:41 AM
"Paul" > writes:

> I have lost that information, but I can tell you that it is the microphone
> on a recently discontinued headset/microphone combination which was
> obviously designed to be used by the person wearing it on his head. In
> class I do not use it that way. I move it as close to the professor as I
> can get it.

Then it is probably a microphone that is neither terribly sensitive
nor one that is very omnidirectional. It sounds like a mic that will
have a very tight pick up pattern for a close speaker, and won't be
very suitable to the task.

Best mic for what you're doing is a shotgun mic pointed at the prof.
bhphotovideo.com carries shotgun mics. But it's kinda bulky....

Next step might be to try a really hot efficient electret mic from
soundprofessionals.com the most efficient/sensitive ones are the
omnidirectionals, but they will pick up noise around the room equally
unfortunately.

Good luck!

Best REgards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | "4 lines suffice."

Paul
October 6th 03, 02:36 AM
"Todd H." > wrote in message

> Then it is probably a microphone that is neither terribly sensitive
> nor one that is very omnidirectional. It sounds like a mic that will
> have a very tight pick up pattern for a close speaker, and won't be
> very suitable to the task.
>
> Best mic for what you're doing is a shotgun mic pointed at the prof.
> bhphotovideo.com carries shotgun mics. But it's kinda bulky....
>
> Next step might be to try a really hot efficient electret mic from
> soundprofessionals.com the most efficient/sensitive ones are the
> omnidirectionals, but they will pick up noise around the room equally
> unfortunately.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Best REgards,

Thanks Todd,

I found this: http://www.audio-technica.com/guide/line/atr/ATR55.html
but I am finding that I know nothing about the topic. I know what impedance
is and how important it can be in plugging things in. So when the specs on
that shotgun mic say "Impedance 1000 Ohms (Normal mode) and 2200 ohms
(Tele-mode, supercardiod)", I need to be sure of something. Will this
difference of impedance mean that I can't use it in my computer's mic input
on one or or possibly both modes?

- Paul

Todd H.
October 6th 03, 04:21 PM
"Paul" > writes:
> I found this:
> http://www.audio-technica.com/guide/line/atr/ATR55.html but I am
> finding that I know nothing about the topic. I know what impedance
> is and how important it can be in plugging things in. So when the
> specs on that shotgun mic say "Impedance 1000 Ohms (Normal mode) and
> 2200 ohms (Tele-mode, supercardiod)", I need to be sure of
> something. Will this difference of impedance mean that I can't use
> it in my computer's mic input on one or or possibly both modes?

Shouldn't matter. Those are both fairly high impedances.

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | "4 lines suffice."

Paul
October 9th 03, 12:51 AM
"Todd H." > wrote in message
> "Paul" > writes:
> > Will this difference of impedance mean that I can't use
> > it in my computer's mic input on one or or possibly both modes?
>
> Shouldn't matter. Those are both fairly high impedances.

OK, thanks. I will probably order that one very soon.

- Paul