PDA

View Full Version : Sound recorder on Win 98

Roy Bailey
October 2nd 03, 06:08 PM
I have a large number of taped interviews which I would like to save as sound
files on my computer, so that, as well as being backed up, they are also
available for non-linear search and editing. The Windows 98SE Sound Recorder
will only record a minute of audio, whereas I need to record indefinite
amounts.

Is there a recorder program that will do this, preferably a free- or shareware
one? I seem to remember having something more suitable on my old machine which
used Windows 95.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Todd H.
October 2nd 03, 09:08 PM
Roy Bailey > writes:

> I have a large number of taped interviews which I would like to save as sound
> files on my computer, so that, as well as being backed up, they are also
> available for non-linear search and editing. The Windows 98SE Sound Recorder
> will only record a minute of audio, whereas I need to record indefinite
> amounts.
>
> Is there a recorder program that will do this, preferably a free- or shareware
> one? I seem to remember having something more suitable on my old machine which
> used Windows 95.

goldwave.com

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/

Paul
October 3rd 03, 01:36 AM
"Roy Bailey" > wrote in message
> I have a large number of taped interviews which I would like to save as
sound
> files on my computer, so that, as well as being backed up, they are also
> available for non-linear search and editing. The Windows 98SE Sound
Recorder
> will only record a minute of audio, whereas I need to record indefinite
> amounts.
>
> Is there a recorder program that will do this, preferably a free- or
shareware
> one? I seem to remember having something more suitable on my old machine
which
> used Windows 95.
> --
> Roy Bailey
> West Berkshire.

I have been using PolderBitS with success. It costs around $30, but it does
fine with very long recordings. It is at http://www.polderbits.com/.

- Paul

Clive Backham
October 3rd 03, 09:00 AM
On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 18:08:44 +0100, Roy Bailey
> wrote:

>I have a large number of taped interviews which I would like to save as sound
>files on my computer, so that, as well as being backed up, they are also
>available for non-linear search and editing. The Windows 98SE Sound Recorder
>will only record a minute of audio, whereas I need to record indefinite
>amounts.
>
>Is there a recorder program that will do this, preferably a free- or shareware
>one? I seem to remember having something more suitable on my old machine which
>used Windows 95.

Stacks and stacks of shareware ones at varying prices. Two very
inexpensive ones (<$15) I know of are CDWave and RIP Vinyl; there are
bound to be others. My own program Wave Repair is freeware if you only
use it for recording.

Allen RENY
October 3rd 03, 12:15 PM
"Roy Bailey" > wrote in message
> I have a large number of taped interviews which I would like to save as sound
> files on my computer, so that, as well as being backed up, they are also
> available for non-linear search and editing. The Windows 98SE Sound Recorder
> will only record a minute of audio, whereas I need to record indefinite
> amounts.
>
> Is there a recorder program that will do this, preferably a free- or shareware
> one? I seem to remember having something more suitable on my old machine which
> used Windows 95.
> --
> Roy Bailey
> West Berkshire.