PDA

View Full Version : Re: quadraphonic equipment question

PaulB
October 1st 03, 04:42 PM
hi,
yes you do need a specialized cart for playing quad albums. unfortunately
nobody is producing them anymore.
here is a company that has some nos (new old stock) carts
http://www.garage-a-records.com/quadcart.html

paul
"howldog" > wrote in message

> Hi all
>
> we have a very old Sansui 4 channel quadraphonic receiver. Theres
> some old quad vinyl albums on Ebay we'd like to buy.
>
> I dont know what kind of needle-cartridge is on our turntable... will
> we need a special 4 channel cartridge to play the Quad albums? And if
> so, would anyone know where on earth i could get something like that?
>
> thanks

Gary A. Edelstein
October 1st 03, 06:17 PM
On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 11:34:02 -0400, howldog > wrote:

>Hi all
>
> we have a very old Sansui 4 channel quadraphonic receiver. Theres
>some old quad vinyl albums on Ebay we'd like to buy.
>
>I dont know what kind of needle-cartridge is on our turntable... will
>we need a special 4 channel cartridge to play the Quad albums? And if
>so, would anyone know where on earth i could get something like that?

I disagree with the other poster that you always need a special
cartridge/stylus. That's only true for CD4 quad LPs. I expect the
Sansui will have a QS decoder; it may have an SQ decoder. Both of
those are matrix, and matrix LPs can be played by any standard stereo
cartridge/stylus. Carefully check the sort of quad format the LPs on
Ebay are.

If the Sansui has a CD4 demodulator, then you may want to consider CD4
LPs. Then you need a cartridge/stylus that can properly track the
high frequency carrier signal. Cartridges with a Shibata stylus will
do so. It appears you may be able to locate such a cartridge through
the internet based on a Google search for Shibata stylus.

Gary E

|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo

DV Nebel
October 4th 03, 07:07 PM
Hello, I had contacted Shure about playing quad albums a couple years
ago. The rep. that I contacted stated that their Hyperellipticle (HE)
and Microridge (MR) stylus could be used for quad play back. Don
Nebel

Kalman Rubinson
October 4th 03, 11:22 PM
On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 13:07:00 -0500 (CDT), (DV Nebel)
wrote:

>Hello, I had contacted Shure about playing quad albums a couple years
>ago. The rep. that I contacted stated that their Hyperellipticle (HE)
>and Microridge (MR) stylus could be used for quad play back.

Did you specify which quad system you were talking about?

Kal