PDA

View Full Version : Replacing belt in R.Shack turntable

Gregorso
September 30th 03, 11:34 PM
I have an Radio Shack turntable (maybe 8 yrs. old?). I opened it up
and the "rubber band" belt that connects the motor to the center of
the turntable is broken. Radio Shack says it's $10 to get a
replacement for that part.

Can a proper replacement be bought elsewhere for less money? Is it
worth repairing? Are there any things I should be aware of when
replacing the belt?

Thank you,
Greg

JeB
October 1st 03, 12:11 AM
On 30 Sep 2003 15:34:40 -0700, (Gregorso) wrote:

>I have an Radio Shack turntable (maybe 8 yrs. old?). I opened it up
>and the "rubber band" belt that connects the motor to the center of
>the turntable is broken. Radio Shack says it's $10 to get a
>replacement for that part.
>
>Can a proper replacement be bought elsewhere for less money? Is it
>worth repairing? Are there any things I should be aware of when
>replacing the belt?

measure the belt, fire up your favorite search engine.

Kalman Rubinson
October 1st 03, 12:27 AM
On 30 Sep 2003 15:34:40 -0700, (Gregorso) wrote:

>I have an Radio Shack turntable (maybe 8 yrs. old?). I opened it up
>and the "rubber band" belt that connects the motor to the center of
>the turntable is broken. Radio Shack says it's $10 to get a
>replacement for that part.
>
>Can a proper replacement be bought elsewhere for less money? Is it
>worth repairing? Are there any things I should be aware of when
>replacing the belt?

There are several belt companies out there and MCM and PartsExpress
handle many sizes. However, considering the time and trouble, along
with shipping and uncertainty of optimal fit, I'd spend the $10.

Kal

@audiobox.com , [email protected]
October 18th 03, 05:02 PM
Dear Greg : The fact that, "Radio Shack", can
actually supply the belt seems to be the important consideration here .
Let's see ! Ten dollars for eight years !
"Cheaper" You've got to be kidding, right ?

Sincerely : Keith A. Lahteine

Gregorso wrote:

> I have an Radio Shack turntable (maybe 8 yrs. old?). I opened it up
> and the "rubber band" belt that connects the motor to the center of
> the turntable is broken. Radio Shack says it's $10 to get a
> replacement for that part.
>
> Can a proper replacement be bought elsewhere for less money? Is it
> worth repairing? Are there any things I should be aware of when
> replacing the belt?
>
> Thank you,
> Greg

Todd H.
October 18th 03, 08:36 PM
(Gregorso) writes:

> I have an Radio Shack turntable (maybe 8 yrs. old?). I opened it up
> and the "rubber band" belt that connects the motor to the center of
> the turntable is broken. Radio Shack says it's $10 to get a
> replacement for that part.
>
> Can a proper replacement be bought elsewhere for less money?

How cheap are you? Even if you found one for $5, it'd probably cost $5
to ship.

> Is it worth repairing?

Depends. Can you find another turntable for $10?

> Are there any things I should be aware of
> when replacing the belt?

Nothing other than that it's a perfectly normal and necessary wear
item that needs periodic replacment. :-)

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/