PDA

View Full Version : Speaker placement - need help

macglade
September 30th 03, 02:20 AM
We're doing a remodel and would like to install some wall speakers while we
have the walls down to the studs.

I'm not sure about placement of the speakers. Important: we're not
audiophiles and look to spend between $250 and $500 a pair. This is simply
for a music (no TV/ home entertainment system).

The room (if any of this matters) is 20 ft x 28 feet with a cathedral type
ceiling that peaks in the center at 15 ft; the center beam runs parallel to
the 20 ft lengths. 16 feet of South wall will be a sliding glass door. I'd
like to place the speakers on the south wall at about the "x's" on either
side of the slider.

Two questions:

1. Are there wall speakers available to adequately "fill" a room of this
size? Is one pair adequate? 1 pr would be ideal--finding a spot for the 2nd
pair would be tough,
2. How good would the sound be if speakers were placed at the "X's"? They
could be anywhere from 6 to 10 ft above floor level.
3. Can someone recommend a brand in that price range? (I've looked only at
Crutchfield)

Thanks in advance

macglade

South

__x____________20 ft_________________x__
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| _________ctr beam ________________ | 28 ft
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
____________________________________

North

@audiobox.com , [email protected]
October 18th 03, 04:51 PM
Dear Macglade : There is a company called, "Moon Audio",
who has a few programs, free . One, by the way, is strictly for the
placement of speakers . There are, of course, others but they can cost a
significant amount of money .
You may or may not be aware of this but wall placement of speakers
is, possibly, the least favored way . Their are a couple of reasons why
! Sometimes moving a speaker, as little as one foot, can result in a big
difference in the sound . The distance that a speaker is offset, from
the wall, can add a considerable change to the overall sound . This is
one of, the main, reasons why speaker placement seems to be a compromise
between decor and sound .

" What's good for the eye might not be good for the ear !"

Sincerely : Keith A. Lahteine

P.S. See if you can find the, "Moon Audio", site . Use A search engine !