PDA

View Full Version : Is there a RealAudio for Windows that isn't obnoxious??

Tom
September 28th 03, 06:18 PM
I'd like to install RealAudio on a friend's machine, but the last time I =
did this I was shocked at how obnoxious it was. I'm talking about the =
usual stuff, but it was particularly hard to disable. I'm a C++ =
developer and yet I couldn't figure out how to stop it from presenting =
ads, etc.

So, is there a version of RealAudio that has been 'tamed'?

I've heard that RealAudio is now cross-platform and I know that people =
on other platforms don't put up with this sort of stuff, so they must =
have released a 'tame' version for those other platforms? What about us =
poor Windows users?

Thanks,

Tom.

Kalman Rubinson
September 28th 03, 10:09 PM
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:18:32 GMT, "Tom" > wrote:

>I'd like to install RealAudio on a friend's machine, but the last time I did this I was shocked at how obnoxious it was. I'm talking about the usual stuff, but it was particularly hard to disable. I'm a C++ developer and yet I couldn't figure out how to stop it from presenting ads, etc.
>
>So, is there a version of RealAudio that has been 'tamed'?
>
>I've heard that RealAudio is now cross-platform and I know that people on other platforms don't put up with this sort of stuff, so they must have released a 'tame' version for those other platforms? What about us poor Windows users?

I do not know what you want to do with it but I use it to listen to
CDs and internet radio without ads or interruptions. I also got them
to stop sending me updates and emails. Just had to go through all
the setup options and decline/disable EVERYTHING.

Kal

Charles Tomaras
September 29th 03, 02:36 AM
"Kalman Rubinson" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:18:32 GMT, "Tom" > wrote:
>
> >I'd like to install RealAudio on a friend's machine, but the last time I did
this I was shocked at how obnoxious it was. I'm talking about the usual stuff,
but it was particularly hard to disable. I'm a C++ developer and yet I couldn't
figure out how to stop it from presenting ads, etc.

> >So, is there a version of RealAudio that has been 'tamed'?
> >
> >I've heard that RealAudio is now cross-platform and I know that people on
other platforms don't put up with this sort of stuff, so they must have released
a 'tame' version for those other platforms? What about us poor Windows users?

> I do not know what you want to do with it but I use it to listen to
> CDs and internet radio without ads or interruptions. I also got them
> to stop sending me updates and emails. Just had to go through all
> the setup options and decline/disable EVERYTHING.
>
> Kal

You can also go into your startup settings using regedit. Find the "realevent"
entry and disable it. You must also follow the path to the location of the file
"realevent.exe" and delete it from your computer or it will be re-enabled on
your startup menu next time you reboot. This is the little phone home program
that "keeps you updated."

Honcho
June 3rd 04, 05:59 AM
A really nice audio/video app that I have been using for sometime is Jet-
Audio. It's free and has no nag crap. A variety of nice skins can be
downloaded also. It handles almost every conceivable kind of audio & video
file type, has slo-mo capability, a great 20 band equalizer, cross-fade,
sound-a-round, X-bass, etc.. And will also convert formats, rip & burn cd's
and has many other bells and whistles. I got rid of Windows media player,
Real player & Quicktime; Jet-Audio handles them all!

Go to http://www.jetaudio.com/ and download JetAudio 6.0.4 Basic. There is
a JetAudio 6.0.4 Basic Plus for $29.00, but I found the basic model does
everything I need in a player.

If you decide to go this route, let me know what ya think.

Cheers,

Honcho