PDA

View Full Version : question

gijs
September 23rd 03, 10:28 AM
very stupid question, but I can't figure out how you call - in english
- the sound that an oldfashioned analog alarmclock makes! I want to
use it in a sentence like: when the clock ... (verb)

any suggestions?

Dave Bugg
September 23rd 03, 07:13 PM
gijs wrote:
> very stupid question, but I can't figure out how you call - in english
> - the sound that an oldfashioned analog alarmclock makes! I want to
> use it in a sentence like: when the clock ... (verb)
>
> any suggestions?

rings, clatters, tinkles, clangs.

Todd H.
September 23rd 03, 11:26 PM
(gijs) writes:

> very stupid question, but I can't figure out how you call - in english
> - the sound that an oldfashioned analog alarmclock makes! I want to
> use it in a sentence like: when the clock ... (verb)
>
> any suggestions?

"strikes" perhaps? It conjures an image of a grandfather clock
striking its chimes on the hour though--and is mostly seen in older
stories, for example "When the clock strikes midnight, you have better
be home, young man!"

If you are referring to an old wind up mechanical alarm clock with 2
bells and a clanger in the middle, that would be more of a "when the
clock rings"

The best of these depends on context and what mood you're trying to
set. :-)

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/

mitch
October 5th 03, 04:31 AM
In article >, says...
> (gijs) writes:
> I want to use it in a sentence like: when the clock ... (verb)

chimes