PDA

View Full Version : Audio Formats Help

Mark
September 22nd 03, 06:13 AM
Is anyone able to explain all the different options for A/V Receivers.
Here is what I have discovered so far (not sure if its all true).

Formats:

Dolby:
- Dolby Pro Logic II - Creates 5.1 channel sound out of stereo (two
types one for music, one for movie).
- Dolby Digital - 5.1 surround sound format
- Dolby Digital EX - 6.1/7.1, create an additional 1/2 channels of
sound for back speakers (information is gathered from L&R back
speakers from the 5.1 channel information).

DTS:
- DTS - Another 5.1 surround sound format (comparable to Dolby
Digital, but many say has a slight edge over Dolby Digital).
- DTS ES - 6.1/7.1 channel DTS format. Two types Matrix 6.1 (uses info
from 5.1 channels information like Dolby Digital EX) and Discrete 6.1
(actually uses 6.1 channels).
- DTS Neo:6 - Creates 6.1 channel sound out of stereo
- In addition, you can get 96/24 version of DTS (instead of 48/24???).

Other Audio:
- CD - 44/16
- HDCD - 44/20 ???
- SDDS - Sony proprietary sound (not sure sampling, etc). I believe
this format is not used, maybe replaced with SACD??
- SACD - Sony/Phillips new audio format (no equivilant for sampling
because uses bit stream)
- DVD-A - 192/24 stereo and 96/24 5.1 channel. Can you play stereo at
96/24 if that is all your receiver can support (or do you have to play
the 5.1 channel)???

But here is where I get confused:
1) I have seen receivers that show 5.1/6.1/7.1 channel inputs, but I
thought that (except for DTS ES) the channels are created out of 5.1.
Are the 6.1&7.1 inputs only used for DTS ES. Also, why do I never see
6.1 and 7.1 both as inputs (I only ever see one or the other) is 7.1
backwards compatible?

2) I have seen DAC for 96/24 and 192/24, and I have seen DTS 96/24,
but sometimes I see DTS 96/24 but no DAC 96/24, shouldn't a receiver
capable of DTS 96/24 be able to decode PCM audio at 96/24? Also it
seems that sony does not support DAC at all??? Is this because they
want to push SACD? Whey you get a receiver are you stuck with DAC for
DVD-A only or SACD only depending on the manufacturer? Am I confusing
something here??

3) What are my choices for receivers/brands if I want something that
will have Dolby Digital/DTS (5.1, 6.1, or 7.1), and support for DVD-A
(either 96/24 or 192/24) when it comes out (I also need component
switching at at least 50MHz for HDTV 1080i). And what do people
recommend. I've been looking at the SONY STR-DE995, but I'm concerned
that it will not support DVD-A.