PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten giant stereo receivers of the 1970s

Erik
September 21st 03, 04:05 AM
I just spent a good while searching for some information about a
Technics SA-1000 which as most probably know was one of the great
giant 1970s receivers. Commonly I see people looking for the Pioneer
SX-1980, 1280 and 1250, the bigger Marantz units (2500, 2600, 2385,
2325), the big Sansui receivers (9090DB, G-9000, etc) and such other
similar equipment. It always seems that the price of these keeps
increasing each time I check ebay, especially of the well known big
receivers. I have observed however that there are several forgotten
large receivers (some of which I am fortunate enough to own) to come
out of this time period which in my esimtation rival the best of them.
For whatever reason they have fallen by the wayside, if they cross
your path and you want vintage quality gear I wouldnt hesistate to buy
one of them.
MCS 3125, this was a house brand receiver built for JC Penny rated at
125 watts per channel.05% THD, 5-60000hz frequency response, triple
darlington triple differential SEPP OCL DC amplifiers. Tips the scales
at 55lbs. Supposed production dates of 1980-84 at a cost of $800. An
odd combo of a graphic equalizer/receiver. Has several advangates due
to its late production but 70s built quality, has a quartz locked
analog FM tuner which is up there with the finest I have used. Dial in
the desired frequency, it then centers and locks the signal. I have
seen these go for about $150, which in my estimation is a good deal
compared with some of the prices the big names are fetching.
Fisher RS-1060/1080, these were the big Fisher reciever twins,
supposedly differing in power output. They are not exactly common, I
have only seen one RS-1060, the one I own (has a serial number in the
1000s, so its either one of the originals or not a common unit at
all), as far as a 1080? I have never seen one of those. The RS-1060
tips the scales at about 60lbs, drawing a whopping 800 watts and a 10
amp power fuse, the lights dim when you flip the switch. Measuring 2
feet wide its one of the widest receivers I have ever seen. The
supposed rated power output was 100 watts per channel at 8 ohms. Based
on what I have done with it, thats also about the most conservative
specification of power I have ever seen. Probably easily exceeds 200
watts into 8 ohms, easily more powerful than the MCS 3125 (which warns
in its manual it is capable of over 200 watts per channel at full
volume). FM tuning is smooth and easy, does a bit better on AM than
most I have used. Defineately a must have should they ever cross your
path.
Audiograph 2A100, how many were produced? Its unknown, its a
modification of an H.H. Scott receiver of the early 1970s. Giant power
transformer, 2 giant capacitors the size of coke cans. External
heasinks. A lot of work went into it, whoever did it knew what they
were doing. Amazingly powerful. If more than one was produced and it
crosses your path, jump on it.
GTE 2600 and related high powered GTE receivers. Interesting made in
the USA receivers, not too common, but I have two, and they are quite
good as far as performance and power. Good tuner, good build quality.
I have seen several, and always priced reasonably.
Concept 12.0 and 12.0D, not terribly common, but huge torroidal
transformer, built quite well, how you could go wrong I don't know. I
have seen them go at reasonable prices.
It seems that many manufacturers had a flagship receiver of some sort.
Sometimes the flagship receivers of the lesser known brands are up
there with the best of them. To all those interested in vintage gear
keep your eyes open.

UnionPac2001
September 21st 03, 04:14 PM
>I just spent a good while searching for some information about a
Ever hang out at AudioKarma.org? Heavily into vintage gear. This post would
spark a lot of interest there.