PDA

View Full Version : Design parameters for hifi stand/rack

John Fryatt
September 17th 03, 04:03 PM
I am in need of a rack or stand to put my hi-fi kit on, and I am thinking
about making one.
The basic design would be the usual tiered shelving unit. I would use it to
hold a CD player, amplifier, tuner, etc. but no turntable.
My question is, what are the main design parameters for a hifi stand?

I would assume that rigidity was important. Is that correct.
I would make the stand out of wood, as a) it's my only realistic option
(don't want to get into welding), and b) because I like wood. Is wood a
good material though? Which wood? Pine or harder, e.g. beech or oak? How
about cherry, to match some Tannoy speakers?
Should shelves be firmly fixed to the 'chassis' or isolated? If isolated,
how? On metal spikes, rubber 'knobs', or what? What should shelves be made
from? MDF? Plate glass?

Finally, am I pursuing a fools errand, and should leave it to the pros?

Any ideas, thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks, John

John A. Weeks III
September 17th 03, 06:44 PM
In article >, John Fryatt
> wrote:

> I am in need of a rack or stand to put my hi-fi kit on, and I am thinking
> about making one.

> Finally, am I pursuing a fools errand, and should leave it to the pros?

You can save some money doing it yourself, and there is always the
sense of satisfaction in building something. The counter issues are
if you can build furniture quality work, and do you have the time and
tools that are needed?

I'd recommend taking a field trip to some of the hi-fi shops in
your area, and taking digital photos of stands that catch your
fancy. Might as well steal the ideas from the pros.

I wouldn't rule out using steel -- you can get the pieces pre-cut
from a metal shop. You don't have to use all steel. If you use
a combination of wood and steel, you can design in the steel parts
so you can join it to the wood using nut/bolt/screw hardware. Also,
consider using some glass for the shelves.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications http://www.johnweeks.com

UnionPac2001