PDA

View Full Version : VHS audio to soundcard - level problem

Michael Fitzgerald
September 8th 03, 12:29 AM
Have a number of VHS tapes containing hours of FM radio broadcasts.
Need to get these onto the PC to edit into CDRs. Running Win98 and
CoolEdit2000. Nothing fancy.

The level seems to be WAY too hot for the soundcard. It peaks out even
when record level is set to zero. This is whether I go through my
receiver's VHS inputs and then to the tape out (to line in on the
soundcard) or whether I bypass the receiver entirely.

Am I missing something simple here? Is there a set of inputs to use
that will tame this beast?

Thanks -

Mike

http://www.eclipse.net/~fitzgera - Gigi Gryce book - ARSC award winner!
http://www.JazzDiscography.com

Mark D. Zacharias
September 8th 03, 01:31 AM
Are you absolutely sure it's not plugged into the MIC input of the
soundcard?

Mark Z.

"Michael Fitzgerald" > wrote in message

> Have a number of VHS tapes containing hours of FM radio broadcasts.
> Need to get these onto the PC to edit into CDRs. Running Win98 and
> CoolEdit2000. Nothing fancy.
>
> The level seems to be WAY too hot for the soundcard. It peaks out even
> when record level is set to zero. This is whether I go through my
> receiver's VHS inputs and then to the tape out (to line in on the
> soundcard) or whether I bypass the receiver entirely.
>
> Am I missing something simple here? Is there a set of inputs to use
> that will tame this beast?
>
> Thanks -
>
> Mike
>

> http://www.eclipse.net/~fitzgera - Gigi Gryce book - ARSC award winner!
> http://www.JazzDiscography.com

Todd H.
September 8th 03, 01:57 AM
Michael Fitzgerald > writes:
> On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 00:31:06 GMT, "Mark D. Zacharias"
> > wrote:
> >Are you absolutely sure it's not plugged into the MIC input of the
> >soundcard?

That's my question too.

> I am sure.
>
> I use the same line input when recording from cassette (through
> receiver line out) to soundcard and it works fine.

Then it's quite a head scratcher.

Idea to try: Use your cassette deck as an intermediary to play with
teh level (since you know it works). Run VCR audio out into the
cassette deck, put a dummy tape in cassette deck and hit record and
pause. Adjust cassette deck levels. Run cassette deck output to your
soundcard.

If you don't get happiness with that hookup, try recording from a
cassette to verify your assertion that you aren't in the mic input.

Best REgards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/