PDA

View Full Version : Re: Can a subwoofer get "acclimated" to speaker-level inputs?

Kalman Rubinson
August 19th 03, 03:49 AM
On 18 Aug 2003 19:42:19 -0700, (J. Tyler) wrote:

>Generally speaking, could a subwoofer that's been played for over a
>year using only speaker-level inputs sound temporarily weak and
>spotty, especially in the lowest frequencies, when hooked up to a
>line-level (RCA) input again?
>
>Could the subwoofer amp somehow "take a set" or get "acclimated" to a
>certain type of input through some weird electrical phenomenon? This
>apparently happened to my sub after being lent to a friend for over a
>year. No abuse I know of, just a high level input for all that time.

It may simply be the difference between running the bass through your
amp/receiver on its way to the sub vs. bypassing them.

>It sounds fine now after a few hours playing it with my line-level
>input. It's hard to pinpoint exactly when it "recovered" its clean
>bass but I don't think I imagined the difference.

It's called adaptation. Nothing's changed.

Kal

Kevin McMurtrie
August 19th 03, 04:35 AM
In article >,
(J. Tyler) wrote:

>Generally speaking, could a subwoofer that's been played for over a
>year using only speaker-level inputs sound temporarily weak and
>spotty, especially in the lowest frequencies, when hooked up to a
>line-level (RCA) input again?
>
>Could the subwoofer amp somehow "take a set" or get "acclimated" to a
>certain type of input through some weird electrical phenomenon? This
>apparently happened to my sub after being lent to a friend for over a
>year. No abuse I know of, just a high level input for all that time.

Nope.

>It sounds fine now after a few hours playing it with my line-level
>input. It's hard to pinpoint exactly when it "recovered" its clean
>bass but I don't think I imagined the difference.
>
>JT

It's your ears acclimating. The difference you hear is the tonal
compensation built into many power amplifiers. By switching from the
speaker output to the RCA output, you've eliminated it.