PDA

View Full Version : Re: Wireless speakers for rear channel sound?

Kalman Rubinson
August 16th 03, 03:02 PM
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 13:45:55 GMT, The Wobulator
> wrote:

>Hi,
>I'd like to use wireless speakers for my rear channel sound instead of
>having speaker wires run along the base boards. However, all the ones
>I've seen use the line out and not the speaker out. The rear channel
>on my AV receiver is amplified and would probably damage the wireless
>transmitter.
>
>What I need is, is something to step-down the amplified output. Does
>anyone know if something like this exists? Or does anyone know of a
>wireless speaker set that would work? Suggestions welcome!

Get a pair of speaker-to-line adapters from any auto-audio store. Of
course, all of the wireless remote speakers are mediocre.

Kal

Barry Mann
August 17th 03, 11:50 PM
In >, on 08/17/03
at 04:21 PM, The Wobulator >
said:

>Hi,
>I'd like to use wireless speakers for my rear channel sound instead of
>having speaker wires run along the base boards. However, all the ones
>I've seen use the line out and not the speaker out. The rear channel
>on my AV receiver is amplified and would probably damage the wireless
>transmitter.

Many A/V receivers have auxiliary line out jacks for the rear channels.

>What I need is, is something to step-down the amplified output. Does
>anyone know if something like this exists? Or does anyone know of a
>wireless speaker set that would work? Suggestions welcome!

There is a device called a "Z-coupler" that will reduce a speaker level
signal to line level. (note that not everyone calls knows them by this
name) Some audio stores have them, but it is more likely that an
autosound shop will stock Z-couplers.

If you have the construction skills, two resistors per channel will do
the job.

If the wireless transmitter has an input gain control, it will probably
have enough range to operate from your speaker terminals. The biggest
danger would be for your A/V receiver because the shields (outside
contacts on the RCA plugs) are usually common to the left and right
channels of the transmitter. This means that you must take care to
connect the inner conductor (the pin on an RCA plug) to the positive
terminals of your amplifier. It is very rare, but some receivers will
not like the common ground provided by the wireless transmitter.

That said, I don't like wireless speakers. They are not truly wireless
because they need AC power, they are typically low quality speakers,
and there are often unsolvable radio interference problems. If you have
wall-to-wall carpet, a pair of speaker wires can usually be run between
the tack strip and the wall.

SPAM:
13> (Barry Mann)
[sorry about the puzzle, SPAMers are ruining my mailbox]