PDA

View Full Version : Re: parallelling amp outputs?

Barry Mann
August 14th 03, 05:14 AM
In >, on 01/27/03
at 10:22 AM, "rb" > said:

>I've been away from the audio component field for a number of years,
>and am now wanting to put together a home entertainment system. I see
>a number of the current amps available have multi channel output (I've
>seen 4-6 channel sets as the norm). Is it practical to put several
>pair of the outputs in parallel to get additional power, just for
>music? If so, and you phase 'em properly, is there any problem doing
>this?

YES, THERE IS A PROBLEM! DON'T CONNECT AMPLIFIERS IN PARALLEL!!

>For casual music listening, do the distributed cube speakers around
>the rooms seem to do a pretty good job?

This is personal choice based on your own opinion of how good they
sound and look.

>Also, what is available for getting music to remote locations in the
>house? Are their wireless remotes available? Or, do you still have to
>run wires to speakers wherever you put them?

Yes, there are "wireless" speakers, but they will require power wiring
or TONS of batteries, and the transmission range is often very limited.
For a similar sound quality, wireless speakers should cost more than
wired speakers.

SPAM:
13> (Barry Mann)
[sorry about the puzzle, SPAMers are ruining my mailbox]

TCS
August 14th 03, 03:31 PM
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:14:02 -0400, Barry Mann > wrote:
>In >, on 01/27/03
> at 10:22 AM, "rb" > said:

>>I've been away from the audio component field for a number of years,
>>and am now wanting to put together a home entertainment system. I see
>>a number of the current amps available have multi channel output (I've
>>seen 4-6 channel sets as the norm). Is it practical to put several
>>pair of the outputs in parallel to get additional power, just for
>>music? If so, and you phase 'em properly, is there any problem doing
>>this?

>YES, THERE IS A PROBLEM! DON'T CONNECT AMPLIFIERS IN PARALLEL!!

well, duh! They should always be run in series! Connect the speaker outputs
of the first amp to the line input of the second amp.

The advantage of series over parallel is that you'll only blow one amp.

Kalman Rubinson
August 14th 03, 03:33 PM
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:14:02 -0400, (Barry Mann) wrote:

>Yes, there are "wireless" speakers, but they will require power wiring
>or TONS of batteries, and the transmission range is often very limited.
>For a similar sound quality, wireless speakers should cost more than
>wired speakers.

Only up to a very low point. There are no high quality wireless
speakers on the market, yet.

Kal

gregs
August 16th 03, 03:09 AM
In article >, (Barry Mann) wrote:
>In >, on 01/27/03
> at 10:22 AM, "rb" > said:
>
>>I've been away from the audio component field for a number of years,
>>and am now wanting to put together a home entertainment system. I see
>>a number of the current amps available have multi channel output (I've
>>seen 4-6 channel sets as the norm). Is it practical to put several
>>pair of the outputs in parallel to get additional power, just for
>>music? If so, and you phase 'em properly, is there any problem doing
>>this?
>
>YES, THERE IS A PROBLEM! DON'T CONNECT AMPLIFIERS IN PARALLEL!!

I guess the term phasing properly might apply. Some PA amps
put two amps in parallel and it can work IF done right, but
DON'T do it normally.

greg