PDA

View Full Version : Re: parallel speaker connections

Kalman Rubinson
August 11th 03, 07:01 PM
On 11 Aug 2003 10:04:42 -0700, (tdavis) wrote:

>Newbie to audio wiring.
>
>1. If I am wiring 4 8ohm speakers in parallel, what is the best way to
>configure the inline connections between the speakers? I prefer good
>sound quality and low cost to perfect sound at any cost.

Will the amplifier handle a 2 ohm load? Few will and 2ohms is the
result of paralleling 4 8ohm loads.

>The farthest speaker in this run will be 60 feet away from the
>receiver as the cable runs. Speakers will be at 20, 30, 50 and 60
>feet approx. 10 guage cable all the way.

10ga. should be OK depending of the power levels involved but not
specified.

>I have seen a few diagrams about running speakers in parallel and
>there is a connection at each juncture where a speaker is located for
>the positive and negative poles. Is it OK to cut the main cable from
>the receiver at each point where a speaker is to be located and splice
>the 3 wires together without connecting hardware insulate it and
>proceed to the next juncture? If not, will normal electrical
>connectors work OK?

3 wires? If all are in parallel, all you need to do is tap each of
the 2 wires to the +/- of each speaker.

>2. I've read several suggestions to twist the cables together as they
>run to the speakers. How important is this? On the same run
>mentioned above, should I twist the wires together (positive and
>negative) between each of the speakers?

Not necessary.

Consider wiring them in series/parallel to help the (again,
unspecified) amp.

Kal

Barry Mann
August 12th 03, 02:38 AM
In >, on 08/11/03
at 10:04 AM, (tdavis) said:

>Newbie to audio wiring.

>1. If I am wiring 4 8ohm speakers in parallel, what is the best way to
>configure the inline connections between the speakers? I prefer good
>sound quality and low cost to perfect sound at any cost.

I assume you have researched the issue about connecting more than two
speakers in parallel on a single amplifier channel. Most amplifiers
will not like this. Unless your amplifier manufacturer encourages you
to do this, assume that the four speaker connection will cause
immediate or delayed trouble for the amplifier. (If the four speakers
are connected as two stereo pairs -- two speakers per amplifier channel
-- there is usually not a problem.)

>The farthest speaker in this run will be 60 feet away from the
>receiver as the cable runs. Speakers will be at 20, 30, 50 and 60
>feet approx. 10 guage cable all the way.

The thickness of 10 gauge cable will complicate your life a bit.

>I have seen a few diagrams about running speakers in parallel and
>there is a connection at each juncture where a speaker is located for
>the positive and negative poles. Is it OK to cut the main cable from
>the receiver at each point where a speaker is to be located and splice
>the 3 wires together without connecting hardware insulate it and
>proceed to the next juncture? If not, will normal electrical
>connectors work OK?

Cutting and splicing the cable is not a problem when I do it, but an
excellent connection is imperative. It is almost always possible for me
to avoid splices.

Simply twisting the wires together is not a great idea. The connection
will seem fine in the beginning, but it will degrade later. In many
cases sick whole house sound gets better after I find and repair all
the quickie splices. Use some sort of connecting block, crimp
connector, or solder. I don't like to use "wire nuts" on stranded audio
wire. You should be using stranded wire for this application.

>2. I've read several suggestions to twist the cables together as they
>run to the speakers. How important is this? On the same run
>mentioned above, should I twist the wires together (positive and
>negative) between each of the speakers?

Are you using stranded audio cable? It sounds like you have come across
some generic #10 wire designed for another application. Normally, wire
designed for speaker applications is two wires bonded together or
covered with an overall jacket. Twisting is not wrong, but Twisting
your #10 wire would have more benefits for neatness than any audible
improvement. Any possible audio improvement would probably be eaten up
by the splices. Since you are trying to be cheap, skip the twist
because it will require more wire.

SPAM:
13> (Barry Mann)
[sorry about the puzzle, SPAMers are ruining my mailbox]