PDA

View Full Version : recapping... yet another question =O)

volki
August 11th 03, 06:32 AM
hi all,
i just was wondering if recapping the electrolytes of old gear just
improves the low end freq. response in level, or if it has any other
benefits such as low end transient response, thd, intermodulation
distortion, etc. etc.
thanks!

Sofie
August 11th 03, 06:34 AM
volki:
If there is a noticeable or measurable fault.... then it needs to be
fixed...
otherwise, if it is not broken, don't fix it.
It is quite easy to accidentally (or otherwise) introduce new problems.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

snipped;
"volki" > wrote in message
> i just was wondering if recapping the electrolytes of old gear just
> improves the low end freq. response in level, or if it has any other
> benefits such as low end transient response, thd, intermodulation
> distortion, etc. etc.

Barry Mann
August 11th 03, 03:41 PM
In >, on 08/10/03
at 10:32 PM, (volki) said:

>hi all,
>i just was wondering if recapping the electrolytes of old gear just
>improves the low end freq. response in level, or if it has any other
>benefits such as low end transient response, thd, intermodulation
>distortion, etc. etc.
>thanks!

All of the above could be true, especially if the unit is very old and
the capacitors have started to deteriorate.

A good rule of thumb that has served me well for many years is: If it
ain't broke, don't fix it. On older units some of the parts may have
physically degraded to the point that you might damage wire insulation,
tube sockets, or nearby parts while you are in there messing with
capacitors.

If you are dealing with a really old unit, changing capacitors might
introduce or cure some stability problems. (until the late 1950's or
early 60's, depending on the school, undergraduate engineers were not
taught the set of math tools needed to completely understand and
control feedback.)

SPAM:
13> (Barry Mann)
[sorry about the puzzle, SPAMers are ruining my mailbox]