PDA

View Full Version : Re: Boston Acoustics A60 II: Replacement or Retrofit Woofers ?

Luc
August 7th 03, 04:31 PM
Mark,

I've had a pair of BA A150 Series II (3-way w/ 10" woofer) for the
last 10+ years and the foam broke up around the woofers last year. I
had the same choices you're faced with and could also repair the foam
myself or in a shop. I looked around at DIY foam repair kits
available for $25-30 and wanted to give it a try, I also called a few
shops and they charged up to $100 per woofer for the repair !!! I
then called BA and found OEM replacement woofers for $60/each
delivered, that was my pick. I did not look at 3rd party woofers.
The OEM woofers look & sound identical to the originals, as stated by
the BA technician I spoke to. I can't comment on the performance of
3rd party woofers being better or worst (or maybe mismatched to the
enclosure & other drivers) but I got back the sound I like so much out
of the A150's for a fraction of what an equivalent speaker may cost
today.

Luc

On 12 Jun 2003 19:32:54 -0700, (beartooth91)
wrote:

>Hey Folks,
>
>I just bought a pair of BA A60 II speakers for my basement. These have
>the original drivers. The upper range is very detailed and very nice.
>However, the bass is a little more boomy than I like and not very well
>defined. Both woofers have just been refoamed (before I purchased
>them). I am suspicous that the refoaming has alterted the driver
>characteristics. I could replace both woofers with BA replacements for
>$50 each or for a smidgin more money; I could go with 3rd party
>drivers. For the latter, I've been considering the SEAS P21REX or one
>of the Vifa M21 or P21 series. Can anyone give me an idea how these
>retrofits may sound ? I prefer nice tight and punchy bass if that
>helps.
>Thanks,
>
>Mark Barrett

Tom1W
August 8th 03, 07:43 PM
I just did the same on my A 70 II's and there replacements were identical to
the originals. It took about 15 minutes and a screwdriver to install them.
It was too hard for me to give up that clarity, depth and definition and go
speaker shopping again.