PDA

View Full Version : Recording MIDI sequences as digital audio advice please

Kingy75
August 7th 03, 12:53 AM
Hi all,
I'm currently working on a large MIDI sequencing project - (I'm sequencing
the entire score of a musical production)and when all the MIDI sequences are
done I have to record them to audio CD.
The instruments I'm sequencing are: (my question is below)

Reed 1 (Flute, Piccolo, Clarinet, Alto Sax - differs from song to song)
Reed 2 (Flute, Clarinet, Soprano Sax, Alto Sax - differs from song to song)
Reed 3 (Oboe, English Horn, Clarinet, Tenor Sax - differs from song to song)
Reed 4 (Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Tenor Sax, Baritone Sax - differs from song
to song)
Trumpet 1
Trumpet 2
Trumpet 3
Trombone 1
Trombone 2
Trombone 3
Piano
Bass Guitar
Drums
Percussion (Vibes, Marimba, Xylo, Glock, Woodblock etc)

MY QUESTION:
Should I record each instrument/instrument section as a separate audio track
then mix & master everything later or should I just get the MIDI sequence
sounding the way I want it then just record everything at once onto one
audio track? My inclination is to do each instrument section separately.
Have any of you guys ever done anything like this before? If so, how did you
go about it?

I'm using Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.03 and a Roland SC8850 sound module. I also
have Sonar 2.0 XL but haven't learnt how to use it yet :)

ANOTHER QUESTION:
When recording instrument sections separately (eg I first record trumpets
one 1 track, then trombones on another), should I adjust the master volume
on my Roland sound module to bump up the levels as close to 0db as possible
without clipping or should I just leave the master level alone and
normalize/compress the entire track when done?

Sorry for the large post, any help would be greatly appreciated here!

Thanks,
Chris

Geoff Wood
August 7th 03, 04:55 AM
"Kingy75" > wrote in message ylo, Glock, Woodblock etc)

> MY QUESTION:
> Should I record each instrument/instrument section as a separate audio
track
> then mix & master everything later or should I just get the MIDI sequence
> sounding the way I want it then just record everything at once onto one
> audio track? My inclination is to do each instrument section separately.
> Have any of you guys ever done anything like this before? If so, how did
you
> go about it?
>
> I'm using Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.03 and a Roland SC8850 sound module. I also
> have Sonar 2.0 XL but haven't learnt how to use it yet :)

Normal process is to record the whole mix, having already adjusted levels,
effects, etc, in MIDIland. However if you wanted to record each part
separately and treat indivdually, go for it. You may have synch problems
though, between passes.

> ANOTHER QUESTION:
> When recording instrument sections separately (eg I first record trumpets
> one 1 track, then trombones on another), should I adjust the master volume
> on my Roland sound module to bump up the levels as close to 0db as
possible
> without clipping or should I just leave the master level alone and
> normalize/compress the entire track when done?

Certainly get a healthy level into the audio input, but don't obsess over
getting close to 0dB. Sure, Normalise later if necessary.

geoff

aJax
August 8th 03, 08:12 PM
> I'm using Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.03 and a Roland SC8850 sound module. I also
> have Sonar 2.0 XL but haven't learnt how to use it yet :)

I know how to use it! Can I have it?