PDA

View Full Version : capacitor in series

Thomas
August 6th 03, 05:17 PM
For two capacitors in series (- ++ -), if replace w/ one non-polar
(bi-polar) capacitor, the total value is in the formula:

CT = 1 / ( ( 1 / C1) + (1 / C2) )

Where CT = total capacitance

In my case, I have 2 x10uf, 25v elect. capacitors to be replaced by one BP
capacitor. The replaced value should be 5 uf. However, there is no 5 uf BP
capacitor I can find. Only available 4.7 uf of either 16V or 50V. Will it
be OK if I replace w/ 4.7 uf / 50V?

Thanks

Tom

Ethan Winer
August 6th 03, 05:34 PM
Tom,

> Will it be OK if I replace w/ 4.7 uf / 50V? <

Probably. Electrolytic capacitors are rarely manufactured with tight
tolerances anyway. +80% and -20% is common.

--Ethan

Kevin McMurtrie
August 6th 03, 09:29 PM
In article >,
"Thomas" > wrote:

>For two capacitors in series (- ++ -), if replace w/ one non-polar
>(bi-polar) capacitor, the total value is in the formula:
>
>CT = 1 / ( ( 1 / C1) + (1 / C2) )
>
>Where CT = total capacitance
>
>In my case, I have 2 x10uf, 25v elect. capacitors to be replaced by one BP
>capacitor. The replaced value should be 5 uf. However, there is no 5 uf BP
>capacitor I can find. Only available 4.7 uf of either 16V or 50V. Will it
>be OK if I replace w/ 4.7 uf / 50V?
>
>Thanks
>
>Tom

Yes. A larger one may work too if you're worried about bass response.
Measure the voltage across the capacitor under conditions like power on,
switching controls, or whatever the part is related to. If the voltage
is always close to zero it should be OK to go with a larger capacitor.

Robert Rowton
August 7th 03, 12:47 AM
Hello,
If you're really concerned about the value, you could wire a .33uf in
parallel with the 4.7uf, giving you a nominal total of 5.03uf. Make
certain it has a voltage rating equal to or greater than the 4.7uf
capacitor. And if this is a stereo unit, you might consider performing
this modification on both channels, just to keep things balanced.

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:17:46 -0400, "Thomas"