PDA

View Full Version : High current MOSFETs ?

Robert Morein
July 21st 03, 01:06 AM
I understand some maker, perhaps European, has come out with a new MOSFET
that has much higher current and lower voltage drop.

Anybody know who it is?

Kevin McMurtrie
July 21st 03, 03:00 AM
In article >,
"Robert Morein" > wrote:

>I understand some maker, perhaps European, has come out with a new MOSFET
>that has much higher current and lower voltage drop.
>
>Anybody know who it is?

Probably a few of them.

STMicroelectronics and International Rectifier have surface mount
MOSFETs with Rds(on) below 0.005 Ohms.

I wouldn't say that MOSFETs are a problem in switching power supplies.
It's the high current nature of 12V systems. You hit 100A and
everything gets too bulky for consumer use. The next step will probably
be to separate the power inverter and amplifier. Mount the inverter at
the battery and then run cheap 2 conductor 12 guage wire to your monster
amp.

As for audio output transistors, no new technology has been needed for a
long time. The only advances still needed are in Class D circuits.

CJT
July 21st 03, 03:12 AM
Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

> In article >,
> "Robert Morein" > wrote:
>

>>I understand some maker, perhaps European, has come out with a new MOSFET
>>that has much higher current and lower voltage drop.
>>
>>Anybody know who it is?
>>

> Probably a few of them.
>
> STMicroelectronics and International Rectifier have surface mount
> MOSFETs with Rds(on) below 0.005 Ohms for automotive use.
>
> No new technology has been needed for output transistors in a long time.
> What's needed still are better Class D circuits.

What do you think of TI's new stuff?