PDA

View Full Version : Re: Marantz CC-38 problem - can't play more than first 30 sec of CD

Tim Schwartz
July 14th 03, 12:36 PM
Hello,

The laser assembly in your machine, a CDM-12.1 or a VAM-1201 has a
common problem of grease that turns into putty over time. The grease is
used on both the sled rails, and the worm gear drive that moves the
sled. It can be cleaned out and relubircated, but taking it apart can
be tricky, and some parts are easily damaged.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

rm265 wrote:

> I just started having a problem with my Marantz CC-38 5 disc CD player
> ... I've had it for about 4 years with literally no issues or skipping
> until now. But now, when I play a CD it plays no more than the first
> 30 sec of the first track, then just gets stuck and plays nothing. If
> I skip to the next track, I'll either hear the first few seconds
> before the same thing happens, or it won't start the track. Either
> way, after a few seconds, it skips to the next disc. It doesn't
> recognize that disc, skips to the next one, which it also doesn't
> recognize, etc etc.
>
> A few minutes before this started happening, the CD player skipped a
> few times - which makes me think there might be something blocking the
> laser. Anyone experience this before? Any ideas on how I might be
> able to fix it?
>
> Any and all suggestions are much appreciated - thanks!

Mark D. Zacharias
July 14th 03, 12:43 PM
Well, I was going to suggest a feed problem, perhaps a cracked gear, but
then I saw that it doesn't even recognize subsequent discs. Most Marantz CD
players are Philips-sourced. The pickup, disc and sled motors are replaced
as a complete unit. Not too expensive, really. Now if you were only a
technician.....

Mark Z.

m...