PDA

View Full Version : Re: Which cd player to buy?

Rich Andrews
July 14th 03, 08:44 AM
(Andy) wrote in
om:

> Hi,
> I want
>
> 1. Good audio
> 2. Aluminum front panel
> 3. Headphone jack (prefer to have variable headphone volume
> via remote)
>
> I was looking at the Sony SCD-XB970, but apprantly you
> can only get it in europe. Anyone knows where I can get
> gears from europe and have it imported?
>
> Thanks
> Andy

Why don't you get a sacd player? It might cost a bit more, but you might
find the sound of SACDs to be better.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic."

Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - ), "Technology and the Future"

Trevor
July 14th 03, 09:17 AM
"Rich Andrews" > wrote in message
.44...

> Why don't you get a sacd player? It might cost a bit more, but you might
> find the sound of SACDs to be better.

And some might not.

Trevor.

Tim Schwartz
July 14th 03, 12:44 PM
Andy,

I would avoid importing a unit form Europe. With many brands (models)
conversion to 120V operation will not be economical, and often you will
not have any warranty. I've even seen cases where a manufacturer would
not even repair a European model in the US at all, suggesting that it be
shipped back to Europe for repair. I'd keep looking for another model
that does everything you want it to do.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

Andy wrote:

> Hi,
> I want
>
> 1. Good audio
> 2. Aluminum front panel
> 3. Headphone jack (prefer to have variable headphone volume
> via remote)
>
> I was looking at the Sony SCD-XB970, but apprantly you
> can only get it in europe. Anyone knows where I can get
> gears from europe and have it imported?
>
> Thanks
> Andy

Mark D. Zacharias
July 14th 03, 12:48 PM
I would add that a Euro model would have NO warranty in the U.S.

Mark Z.

"Tim Schwartz" > wrote in message
> Andy,
>
> I would avoid importing a unit form Europe. With many brands (models)
> conversion to 120V operation will not be economical, and often you will
> not have any warranty. I've even seen cases where a manufacturer would
> not even repair a European model in the US at all, suggesting that it be
> shipped back to Europe for repair. I'd keep looking for another model
> that does everything you want it to do.
>
> Regards,
> Tim Schwartz
> Bristol Electronics
>

> Andy wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I want
> >
> > 1. Good audio
> > 2. Aluminum front panel
> > 3. Headphone jack (prefer to have variable headphone volume
> > via remote)
> >
> > I was looking at the Sony SCD-XB970, but apprantly you
> > can only get it in europe. Anyone knows where I can get
> > gears from europe and have it imported?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Andy

normanstrong
July 14th 03, 07:33 PM
"Andy" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
> I want
>
> 1. Good audio
> 2. Aluminum front panel
> 3. Headphone jack (prefer to have variable headphone volume
> via remote)

Look for a used Technics SL-PG450. It has good audio, an aluminum
front panel, a headphone jack, variable headphone volume, but not via
remote. It has a +/- 6db volume control via remote. It also has a
bunch of other great features that have by and large disappeared from
what few CD players are still on the market.

A second possibility is a battery operated portable player. You
don't need a remote because it's battery operated; you can take it
with you. Furthermore, you can easily find a portable that also plays
mp3 and wma.

If you didn't need a headphone jack with volume control, I'd surely
advise a DVD player.

Norm Strong

Andy
July 15th 03, 05:29 PM
Money (<$80 to replace the internal transformer?) and warranty are not
a concern for this CD player. The xb980 is a single deck SACD player.
It looks real nice. Can't find any equivalent in the states. Maybe Denon
has some, but I can't seem to find any either except for the their top of
the line model on their website.

Andy