PDA

View Full Version : Re: 6.1, 7.1 channels AV receivers...

Jim
June 26th 03, 08:50 PM
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 01:09:22 GMT, Brad Clarke >
wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:40:03 -0600, "Mark A" > wrote:
>
>>> Not sure about 7.1,
> I think 7.1 allows for a rear sub-woofer.

That would be 6.2!! ;)

I remember reading somewhere are actually a _few_ DVD films encoded for 6.1
surround, but to fit the data in the rear chanels use some kind of audio
compression. Not seem any though, nor players that support it.

I'm sure there could be SOME benefit to having 6 or 7 satelites, if you
could find a source to provide the signal, the only device I can think of
is a PC game, where sounds aren't stored in channels as such but resolved
to them in real time according to the 3d possition of the sound source.

It'd be great if that's how REAL audio worked - a disc with sound and
continuous possitional data and the amp works out for itself how much of it
should be sent to ANY number of channels.

Recent HRTFs (code that does the fancy possitional audio stuff) can
provide stunning 3d sound placement, esspecially with headphones.

Btw, welcome to moy 1st post here!!
--
Jim