PDA

View Full Version : Re: How to select an entry level signal processor?

Kalman Rubinson
June 23rd 03, 09:40 PM
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:03:18 -0500, "Faustino Dina"
> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm planning to buy my first signal processor, but I need some help to
>define my specifications. I want an entry-level console, to get digital
>inputs from DVD and "normal" stereo sources and provide output for surround
>speakers. But specially in DVD there are a lot of standards that changes day
>to day (dts, dolby digital...). Then, which standards do you recommend the
>processor should accomplish for DVD? What kind of digital input it should
>have?

Most of these features are built into an AV receiver or
preamp/processor. Are you looking for a stand alone processor or one
of those devices?

Kal

Faustino Dina
June 23rd 03, 11:59 PM
You are right, I meant an AV receiver. I'm thinking in an entry level one,
around $300 USD, for home teather (DVD films) and stereo music listening.
Thanks for your replay

Faustino

"Kalman Rubinson" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:03:18 -0500, "Faustino Dina"
> > wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm planning to buy my first signal processor, but I need some help to
> >define my specifications. I want an entry-level console, to get digital
> >inputs from DVD and "normal" stereo sources and provide output for
surround
> >speakers. But specially in DVD there are a lot of standards that changes
day
> >to day (dts, dolby digital...). Then, which standards do you recommend
the
> >processor should accomplish for DVD? What kind of digital input it should
> >have?
>
> Most of these features are built into an AV receiver or
> preamp/processor. Are you looking for a stand alone processor or one
> of those devices?
>
> Kal

Jim Mowreader
July 22nd 03, 01:56 AM
In article >,
"Matthew Robbetts" > wrote:

> This may seem like a silly question, but why, oh why, does anybody want a 7.1
> channel processor? Apart from the fact that there is no 7.1 standard, who
> even has 7 speakers to upmix to?

More is better, sir...at least that's what they tell me.

--jmowreader