PDA

View Full Version : Re: compressor for mp3's

Mike Rivers
August 22nd 03, 01:22 PM
In article > writes:

> When I burn cd's of my favorite tunes I sometimes get a wide range of volume
> between songs.Anyone know of any compression or limiters in a software
> format for taming the audio of the mp3's? Thanks!

They're already compressed enough on the original CDs (unless your
favorite CDs are old folk, jazz, or classical records) so you don't
want to compress them further. You just need to adjust the volume
between songs on a compilation. This is one case where normalization
isn't a dirty word. Try normalizing each song (not the whole
compilation) before you make the compilation CD.

Yeah, I know it's a lot of work and you wish you could just sit back
and let the computer do it, but think of it this say - you're paying
in your time for what you're not paying in cash.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Arny Krueger
August 22nd 03, 02:10 PM
"Ross James" > wrote in message

> When I burn cd's of my favorite tunes I sometimes get a wide range of
> volume between songs.Anyone know of any compression or limiters in a
> software format for taming the audio of the mp3's? Thanks!

Sure CoolEdit - shareware from www.syntrillium.com .

Mike
August 22nd 03, 03:21 PM
"Arny Krueger" > wrote in
:

> "Ross James" > wrote in message

Anyone know of any compression or limiters in a
>> software format for taming the audio of the mp3's? Thanks!
>
> Sure CoolEdit - shareware from www.syntrillium.com .

Doesn't exist any more after being bought out by Adobe.

Mark Nelson
August 22nd 03, 03:29 PM
Many CD burning software programs support "normalization" where you can
adjust the volume of a collection of songs to the same relative level. Check
whatever you are using for this feature...

Mark

"Ross James" > wrote in message
> When I burn cd's of my favorite tunes I sometimes get a wide range of
volume
> between songs.Anyone know of any compression or limiters in a software
> format for taming the audio of the mp3's? Thanks!

Ricky W. Hunt
August 22nd 03, 04:33 PM
"Arny Krueger" > wrote in message
> "Ross James" > wrote in message
>
> > When I burn cd's of my favorite tunes I sometimes get a wide range of
> > volume between songs.Anyone know of any compression or limiters in a
> > software format for taming the audio of the mp3's? Thanks!
>
> Sure CoolEdit - shareware from www.syntrillium.com .

MP3 Gain - http://www.geocities.com/mp3gain/ - a free automatic mp3 volume
normalizer.

nicholas yu
August 23rd 03, 02:22 AM
"Ross James" > wrote in message >...
> When I burn cd's of my favorite tunes I sometimes get a wide range of volume
> between songs.Anyone know of any compression or limiters in a software
> format for taming the audio of the mp3's? Thanks!

hello.

try feurio cd-writer.

it's free!

truly, n