PDA

View Full Version : Replay Gain?

John Hong
August 10th 03, 07:53 AM
I know of one software that employs this; MP3Gain, but it only
works on mp3's. Does anyone know of software that uses this method of
normalization on WAV's, OGG's?

David Magda
August 11th 03, 09:31 PM
(John Hong) writes:

> I know of one software that employs this; MP3Gain, but it
> only works on mp3's. Does anyone know of software that uses this
> method of normalization on WAV's, OGG's?

For Ogg Vorbis audio files:

http://users.pandora.be/sjeng/vorbisgain.html

I don't think it's possible with WAV files. Most of the Replay Gain
utilities add headers to the audio file. This is not possible with
WAV files since it's the raw data(?).

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>, http://www.magda.ca/

John Hong
August 12th 03, 09:10 AM
David Magda > writes:

(John Hong) writes:

>> I know of one software that employs this; MP3Gain, but it
>> only works on mp3's. Does anyone know of software that uses this
>> method of normalization on WAV's, OGG's?

>For Ogg Vorbis audio files:

> http://users.pandora.be/sjeng/vorbisgain.html

>I don't think it's possible with WAV files. Most of the Replay Gain
>utilities add headers to the audio file. This is not possible with
>WAV files since it's the raw data(?).

Thanks for the info. I guess 500 kbps OGG will retain more of the
original sound quality than 320 kbps MP3, so there is an upswing to this.

David Magda
August 12th 03, 11:53 PM
(John Hong) writes:

> Thanks for the info. I guess 500 kbps OGG will retain more
> of the original sound quality than 320 kbps MP3, so there is an
> upswing to this.

320 kbps Ogg Vorbis arguably (!) has better sound quality than
320 kbps MP3.

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>, http://www.magda.ca/