PDA

View Full Version : Re: Shure tracking force - Was: Re: Turntable skipping--suggestions?

Robert Rowton
August 8th 03, 05:05 AM
Hello,
That stands for Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Ultra High Quality Record.
http://www.mofi.com/

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 02:43:11 GMT, (Sven Franklyn
Weil) wrote:

>In article >, Harv wrote:
>> I pull a couple rather valuable MFSL UHQRs I own out of my stash to play
>
>Whazza MFSL UHQR?

Harv
August 8th 03, 05:58 AM
"Robert Rowton" > wrote in message
> Hello,
> That stands for Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Ultra High Quality Record.
> http://www.mofi.com/

That's the new MFSL which just recently started up again under the ownership
of what's his name who owns Music Direct. He bought out the MFSL name and
all the Trademarked logos and has re-started the company. Their only
current product is CDs and some SACDs. No vinyl yet.

The original MFSL was in business from 1979 to 1999. They started out making
strictly vinyl. They Branched out to very high quality 1:1 real time
duplicated cassettes, then started making aluminum and then 24k gold
substrate "UltraDisc" CDs. In the 1990s they brought back some of their
vinyl albums for a short period under the name "Anadisq 200." Among their
other highly collectible (and very expensive) titles are the 14 album
"Beatles The Collection" black box, the Rolling Stones 11 album black box,
and the Frank Sinatra 14 album Silver box.

Here is the best article I've ever read about them::

http://members.aol.com/boardwalk7/mofi/mofi.html

There are links at the bottom to all of the product MFSL released.

The pinnacle of their vinyl engineering was a series of incredible pressings
called UHQRs. These were made around 1982. Eight different album titles,
pressed in limited serial numbered quantities of only 5000 each. 200 gram
(double thick) ultra pure totally flat, Super Vinyl pressed for them by JVC
Victor in Japan, then assembled into special presentation boxes by MFSL in
the USA, who sold both direct to end consumers, and to dealers worldwide.
Original price in 1982 was $49.95 each. They all sold out within a year.

Search eBay open and closed auctions for "UHQR" to see what's up for sale
and what has sold in the past two weeks. Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The
Moon" is leaps and bounds the most expensive UHQR title to obtain. Opened
copies in VG+/NM condition sell for about $300.00 to $500.00. Sealed in
original shrinkwrap for close to $1000.00. The second most valuable is
"Sgt. Pepper's". There are three other rock/pop titles, one Jazz title, and
two Classical titles. They all come in identical packaging.

Here's a sealed Pink Floyd UHQR in which the seller has typed in all the
wording from the Technical Specifications Sheet found inside each UHQR box..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2549876716&category=1593

However since it's sealed, you can't see all the inner box goodies.. check
the other auctions and you can probably find one opened where the seller who
might actually know how to use a camera has taken good pictures of the box
contents..

These are very rare, highly sought, and prices have been constantly climbing
the past few years..

The UHQRs are arguably the highest quality vinyl albums ever made..

Harv

Kalman Rubinson
August 8th 03, 03:22 PM
On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 04:58:51 GMT, "Harv" > wrote:

>"Robert Rowton" > wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> That stands for Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Ultra High Quality Record.
>> http://www.mofi.com/
>
>That's the new MFSL which just recently started up again under the ownership
>of what's his name who owns Music Direct. He bought out the MFSL name and
>all the Trademarked logos and has re-started the company. Their only
>current product is CDs and some SACDs. No vinyl yet.

Not yet? I've had the test pressings since CES.

Kal

Harv
August 8th 03, 06:43 PM
"Kalman Rubinson" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 04:58:51 GMT, "Harv" > wrote:
>

> >"Robert Rowton" > wrote in message
> >> Hello,
> >> That stands for Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Ultra High Quality Record.
> >> http://www.mofi.com/
> >
> >That's the new MFSL which just recently started up again under the
ownership
> >of what's his name who owns Music Direct. He bought out the MFSL name and
> >all the Trademarked logos and has re-started the company. Their only
> >current product is CDs and some SACDs. No vinyl yet.
>
> Not yet? I've had the test pressings since CES.
>
> Kal

Well I haven't been to a CES for five or more years.. what artists' vinyl
are they test pressing?? There's nothing on their site about it, and all
that's there so far in terms of new product are CDs and SACDs..

Harv

Kalman Rubinson
August 8th 03, 07:17 PM
On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 17:43:11 GMT, "Harv" > wrote:

>Well I haven't been to a CES for five or more years.. what artists' vinyl
>are they test pressing?? There's nothing on their site about it, and all
>that's there so far in terms of new product are CDs and SACDs..

Dave Alvin, Coltrane, etc. Some of the same ones you see in the lists
for the silver discs.

Kal

UnionPac2001
August 19th 03, 02:42 AM
>I guess ya have to buy that Johnny Winters two album set that has a blank
>side on one of the records ;) ..
>
>Harv

Jeez, I thought I was the only one to own a copy of that album...

Jeff