PDA

View Full Version : DVD Emulates Audio CD?

Moldy
August 6th 03, 01:16 PM
Is it possible to burn audio tracks to a DVD+/-R in the same way as to
a CD-R. ie not creating DVD-Audio just CD-Audio utilising the greater
capacity (and NOT the extra mhz etc) which could then be read by my
DVD player (Pioneer NS-DV55 if at all relevant) as a normal Audio CD
is?

I have searched and searched the net and usenet and can find no
answers.

TIA

Moldy

Arny Krueger
August 6th 03, 03:54 PM
"Moldy" > wrote in message

> Is it possible to burn audio tracks to a DVD+/-R in the same way as to
> a CD-R. ie not creating DVD-Audio just CD-Audio utilising the greater
> capacity (and NOT the extra mhz etc) which could then be read by my
> DVD player (Pioneer NS-DV55 if at all relevant) as a normal Audio CD
> is?

Kinda-sorta. There is a portion of the DVD standard that describes 2-channel
PCM audio recording and playback. A few releases were made this way at
24/96, but I think that 16/44 is part of the standard as well.

Here are some 24/96 examples:

http://www.uhfmag.com/Hi-res.html

http://www.classicrecs.com/newsletter/newsletter/newsletter.cfm?Article=14

http://www.audionautes.com/lp_cd/classicrecs/dad/dad.htm

This product may enable authoring this kind of disc:

http://www.sonic.com/products/dac/matrix.htm

See "Audio Format Support" and note that "Digital Audio Disc" (DAD) is not
the same as "DVD-A"

Here's a good search string for Google:

"digital audio disc" dvd authoring

Moldy
August 6th 03, 04:08 PM
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 10:54:07 -0400, "Arny Krueger" >
wrote:

>"Moldy" > wrote in message

>> Is it possible to burn audio tracks to a DVD+/-R in the same way as to
>> a CD-R. ie not creating DVD-Audio just CD-Audio utilising the greater
>> capacity (and NOT the extra mhz etc) which could then be read by my
>> DVD player (Pioneer NS-DV55 if at all relevant) as a normal Audio CD
>> is?
>
>Kinda-sorta. There is a portion of the DVD standard that describes 2-channel
>PCM audio recording and playback. A few releases were made this way at
>24/96, but I think that 16/44 is part of the standard as well.
>
>Here are some 24/96 examples:
>
>http://www.uhfmag.com/Hi-res.html
>
>http://www.classicrecs.com/newsletter/newsletter/newsletter.cfm?Article=14
>
>http://www.audionautes.com/lp_cd/classicrecs/dad/dad.htm
>

>This product may enable authoring this kind of disc:
>
>http://www.sonic.com/products/dac/matrix.htm
>
>See "Audio Format Support" and note that "Digital Audio Disc" (DAD) is not
>the same as "DVD-A"
>
>Here's a good search string for Google:
>
>"digital audio disc" dvd authoring

Thanks for the info!