PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 speakers for under $500 rec.??

Reinaldo Valenzuela
July 29th 03, 03:42 AM
Can anyone recommend a set of speakers for 5.1 HT
for under $500??

Thanks
Reinaldo

ddr
July 29th 03, 07:26 AM
yes

send me $500 and I will make the recommendation

"Reinaldo Valenzuela" > wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend a set of speakers for 5.1 HT
> for under $500??
>
> Thanks
> Reinaldo

Leadfoot
July 29th 03, 10:38 AM
"ddr" > wrote in message
> yes
>
> send me $500 and I will make the recommendation

He said under 500$

> "Reinaldo Valenzuela" > wrote in message
> > Can anyone recommend a set of speakers for 5.1 HT
> > for under $500??
> >
> > Thanks
> > Reinaldo

Reinaldo Valenzuela
July 29th 03, 01:49 PM
OK. Makes sense. I see the point that speakers are the weakest link on the chain
and where most of the money should go.

Now, what would you recommend as front-left, front-right speakers for around
$500.
I assume this would be full range ?

TCS wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:42:47 -0400, Reinaldo Valenzuela > wrote:
> >Can anyone recommend a set of speakers for 5.1 HT
> >for under $500??
>
> Sheesh. That's like asking for a tire recomendation for a set of
> four for $75.
>
> Forget home theater for a little while. Use the TV set as the center speaker
> and spend the $500 on just the front left and right speakers. Then spend
> $300 on the center speaker. Then spend $200-300 on rear speakers. Then $300
> for a powered subwoofer.
>
> If you spend $500 for a 5.1 set, you're not going to do much better than
> the speaker your TV already has.

Phil Kaufman
July 29th 03, 02:19 PM
It's not necessarily true that most money should be spent on your speakers.
Afterall, an expensive and nice set of speakers would only provide the poor
details of the rest of your bad system, if you chinced out on a good amp,
source, and interconnects.

In my opinion, its all about balance. If you spend next to nothing for all
other components, then look for the $500 set of surround sound speakers. If
you buck up to modest equipment and hardware, then spend a modest amount on
speakers (that would be more than $500). ;-)

HTH

Phil

"Reinaldo Valenzuela" > wrote in message
> OK. Makes sense. I see the point that speakers are the weakest link on the
chain
> and where most of the money should go.
>
> Now, what would you recommend as front-left, front-right speakers for
around
> $500.
> I assume this would be full range ?
>
> TCS wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:42:47 -0400, Reinaldo Valenzuela >
wrote:
> > >Can anyone recommend a set of speakers for 5.1 HT
> > >for under $500??
> >
> > Sheesh. That's like asking for a tire recomendation for a set of
> > four for $75.
> >
> > Forget home theater for a little while. Use the TV set as the center
speaker
> > and spend the $500 on just the front left and right speakers. Then
spend
> > $300 on the center speaker. Then spend $200-300 on rear speakers. Then
$300
> > for a powered subwoofer.
> >
> > If you spend $500 for a 5.1 set, you're not going to do much better than
> > the speaker your TV already has.

TCS
July 29th 03, 03:54 PM
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:19:26 -0400, Phil Kaufman > wrote:
> It's not necessarily true that most money should be spent on your speakers.
> Afterall, an expensive and nice set of speakers would only provide the poor
> details of the rest of your bad system, if you chinced out on a good amp,
> source, and interconnects.
>
> In my opinion, its all about balance. If you spend next to nothing for all
> other components, then look for the $500 set of surround sound speakers. If
> you buck up to modest equipment and hardware, then spend a modest amount on
> speakers (that would be more than $500). ;-)

The original post wasn't "What is the best complete system for $500?"
The original post asked for a 5.1 HT speaker set up for $500.

If you can't even come up with $500 for speakers, you should just stick to
the TV's speakers and set SRS, or whatever fake surround the tv has, to
on. Replacing the TV's speakers with speakers of equal or possibly lower
quality and adding another four TV quality speakers is a waste of money.

Joseph Oberlander
July 29th 03, 08:15 PM
Reinaldo Valenzuela wrote:
> OK. Makes sense. I see the point that speakers are the weakest link on the chain
> and where most of the money should go.
>
> Now, what would you recommend as front-left, front-right speakers for around
> $500.
> I assume this would be full range ?

Tough one. Full range basically means a large tower or a subwoofer
later on. Honestly, most movies are fine without a subwoofer, so
get one in a year or two. That leaves you with large bookshelf
type speakers.

Three choices come to mind:
Tannoy makes their MXm line. It's going to be hard to beat this for
quality. A pair of MXm-2 speakers are excellent choices and at $350
a pair, are not too expensive. The center channel is a bit over your
budget, so get a single speaker to use as a center - it's shielded.
Use it later on for the rear center on the 6.1 system.
Oh - that's retail price - so haggle some. You should be able to get
three MXm2 speakers for about $500. They make smaller ones as well,
so you could go for the real center and some MXm1s as a second choice.
Decent bass.
www.tannoyna.com (finally got their U.S. site up!)

Ascend Acoustics makes their line of speakers. Really tough to
beat for the price. Not as good looking, or as low bass as the Tannoys,
IMO, but for under $500, this (insert semi-violent analogy of your choice)
the speakers from Circuit City and the other mass marketers.
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/
The 170s work find as a center channel, btw - you can get the dedicated
unit later on.
Three CBM-170s are $488+14 Shipping =$502(tax in California, though)
Not much bass, though, until you get a sub.

Lastly, something like the above speakers, but used. KEF Cresta/Coda,
Tannoy M/MX/MXm, Mirage FRx, and several others are good choices used.

chris
July 30th 03, 11:48 PM
check out Canton Movie CD1 for about E450 so i guess simular in $$ small
compact sub sat simular size to Bose BUT MUCH BETTER ( and they got a
tweeter ) that sound pretty good on audio for the price and will blow your
pants off on HC np.